[VII]

"Our First Day of School"

You smiled while Megumi slouched in his kindergarten uniform. He had a light blue shirt with white shorts and a yellow hat and his tiny yellow backpack.

It was so adorable, you had to get pictures.

"Gumi! Look at me! Smile!" You cooed, crouching in front of him while holding your phone in front of you to take as many pictures as you can. 

Megumi pouted embarrassingly at the sudden photo shoot that was happening. Toji on the other hand was not surprised. You took nearly every opportunity to take pictures of your son, so today was no different.

But today was special.

It was Megumi's first day of school.

He wouldn't be home all day like he normally would so it was a big change to your and Toji's routine of tending to him.

In truth, you were nervous. 

This would be the first time that you would be apart from Megumi for a long period of time. Sure, most days you would leave Megumi with Toji while you were out or something, but this time Megumi wouldn't have either of you.

You were afraid Megumi would start crying but so far, he hasn't. You guessed it hadn't set in that he would be away from his Mama and Papa yet and you weren't going to be the one to tell him. 

That would be Toji's job.

Megumi gave you a tiny frown as you drew closer to him to take more pictures.

Megumi was growing much faster than you wanted him to. A small but sharp pain could be felt in your heart.

It was bittersweet. 

Your adorable son was growing up. You were so proud but scared at the same time. 

Honestly, you didn't want Megumi to grow up just yet. He was still your baby, your firstborn, your son. So couldn't he stay at home just for a while longer?

You let out a quiet huff from your nose. 

No, he couldn't stay home. You knew this, eventually, you had to let him spread his wings out in the real world, but you couldn't help the motherly instincts to protect him.