[VIII]

"Our Troublesome Babysitters"

"You're leaving?" Megumi asked in a soft voice, eyes widening in horror at being left behind at home while you and Toji went out on a date.

Your heart broke at the sight of your sullen son and immediately bent down to pull him into a hug on the couch. 

"Just for a few hours, Gumi," you reassured, brushing his hair and rubbing circles on his back. "We'll be back to tuck you into bed."

Megumi huffed and held onto your body, not wanting to be abandoned or left behind by his parents. It broke his young heart that his parents could easily leave him behind just to go on a date. 

How selfish could they be? 

Didn't they love him? 

Why couldn't he go on the date with them? 

...

...

...

...

...

...What even was a date?

You felt uneasy leaving Megumi behind and you looked over at Toji for some help. 

Toji, however, did not care that his son was feeling extra clingy. 

Grow up, kid.

This was his time to be with his wife and this little brat was ruining it, like usual.

But he sighed and came over to your side, sitting next to you and placing his arm behind you, relaxed and tranquil despite his wife and son hugging each other with sadness.

"Kid, we're not even gonna be gone for long," Toji explained. "Man up."

You gave Toji a slap on his chest and frowned at him. Toji chuckled with amusement and nodded sincerely this time.

"Alright," Toji muttered before patting Megumi's head and making him look at his father. 

"You're a big kid now, right?" Toji asked. Megumi sniffled and wiped his tears away, nodding.

"Big kids don't cry, yeah?" Toji asked again. Megumi finished wiping his tears away and sheepishly looked up at his father, nodding.

"You're gonna be strong like me one day, right?" Toji continued. This sparked Megumi's stubbornness and determination.

"I'll be even stronger than Papa," Megumi declared causing Toji to snort with amusement and hum.

"Whatever you say, kid," Toji mused, bringing his hand away and staring deeply into Megumi's big green eyes. "Then you can be strong for tonight while Mama and I are gone, right? You're in charge of guarding the house while we're gone, okay? Can you do that for us, kid?"