Chapter 12: Crying and Emotions

When Siya and Njabulo are in their Maths class they try hard not to fall asleep. Otherwise, they would have to deal with Mr Mabuza's wrath. 

'If you're going to be mad about students falling asleep, here's a suggestion, DO NOT BE BORING!'

Siya lost count of how many times Njabulo would say this during maths. There were no exceptions. Maths was not Njabulo's forte so it made sense that oftentimes he would spend class time outside, which is where Siya found him sitting when break time came. 

Siya huffed lightly when he saw him. "When are you gonna take Maths seriously?"

"I failed to take it seriously all throughout high school, why would I start now?" Njabulo responded and got up from his seat so they could go eat lunch elsewhere. Elsewhere being under the tree on the bench with Sihle and Zola. 

"Hi ladies," Njabulo said with his hands in his pockets as they approached the spot. 

"Hey you two," Sihle said to the boys as she sat and unwrapped her perfect sandwich and took a small bite.

"Hey." Njabulo nudged Zola who looked at him and smirked lightly. Siya looked at them from the corner of his eyes. 

"Is that Matthew?" He said and pointed at a boy who looked nothing like Matthew. 

"That looks nothing like Matthew bro," Njabulo responded. 

"Who's Matthew?" Zola asked. 

"He's-"

Siya cut Njabulo off, "One of Njabulo's many conquests," He said.

"Oh," said Zola, "You're a conqueror. Huh."

"He is making it sound way worse than it is," Njabulo said.

"Oh okay, so he's not some guy you have casual relations with?" Zola asked.

"Okay, that is exactly what it is." He chuckled.

"Uh-huh." She chuckled and shook her head, confusing Siya. "You okay Siya?" Zola asked him. Siya could swear that Zola knew what he was trying to do, it was in her eyes. Did that then mean she knew that Siya saw them? 

"Yeah yeah I'm good. I'm gonna go buy a sandwich," Siya said and scurried off toward the tuckshop. 

"I'm coming with you," Njabulo said and followed his friend.  They stood in line with the other seniors waiting to be serviced. It was great that the seniors had their own line so they never had to wait for too long. The boys stood in silence until they got to the front where they each got a cheese and bacon sandwich. 

Njabulo broke the silence before Siya tried to escape him, "So I'm guessing you know about Zola and me huh?" 

Siya sighed, "Yeah. Should have told me yourself don't you think." 

"How did you find out?" Njabulo said, ignoring Siya's previous statement.

"I saw you on the field the other day," He replied.

"Right, after your rehearsals," Njabulo said. 

"Mhm." Siya sighed and avoided Njabulo's gaze.

"Well, it's a good thing you said you said you don't really like her like that. I wouldn't want us to fight over something so trivial," Njabulo said as he stuffed his hands into his pockets. 

"Trivial?" Siya asked, a bit shocked at his friend's words.

"Well it's not like I'm serious about her man, come on." He replied and rolled his eyes.

"What?" Siya's face fell flat, "What the hell is that supposed to mean, are you just leading her on!"

"What? No, she knows that we're just messing around!" Njabulo said, "In fact, she suggested it, what are you getting mad at me for? You don't even like her!"