✎ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 9

The grandfather begun to cough violently. Tears stung his eyes as he hunched over in pain.

"Grandpa," Jungkook cried and rubbed the older's back hoping his actions would relieve the other in some way.

Taehyung leaned back in his seat and let his eyes droop close, his breathing hard. He hadn't realised Jungkook wasn't by him until the younger rushed into the room with a glass of warm water and handed it over to the man.

The grandfather gratefully took the glass and slowly sipped the warm liquid. He looked up into the doe eyes of his grandson and knew the younger wished for him to finish his tale. So he continued, ignoring the pain in his chest. . .

------

Jimin's expression softened at the sight of tears cascading down the younger's cheeks. But just for a minute. Gone were all traces of warmth in those orbs as he gave the other a blank stare.

"You want to know why?" he asked as though daring the younger to say yes.

Taehyung brushed away his tears but it was useless as fresh ones trailed down them soon after. "I do want to know," he whispered.

"Because I am a broken man and you don't need someone like me in your life. I'm better off without you. I'm better off alone. That's how it's meant to be. This is the kind of person I am. I leave. When people get attached, I leave. When things get tough, I leave. You need to find someone else."

"You're my soulmate and-"

"I'm not! Go find someone else. You can do that easily. Just find someone, talk to them and make them your soulmate. Easy."

"That's not the way it works!" Taehyung shouted and many turned their heads to see what the commotion was about.

"Calm down, don't shout," Jimin said, eyes nervously glancing at the people who'd turned back to look at them.

"No! You keep making these decisions for me and. . .If you're broken, I'm here to help you heal. Stop pushing me away. Just s-stop pushing me away. Let me help you. I'm here for you."

"I-"

"I need you! Okay? I need you. I want you here. With me. Without you, I'm a mess. Without you, I'm lost. Without you, I'm drowning."

"That's not true," Jimin shook his head and shifted his attention to his feet.

Taehyung swallowed the lump in his throat and pushed up his sleeves before he placed his arm in Jimin's line of vision. The older's eyes went wide at the sight of scars covering it. His emerald eyes met Taehyung teary blue ones.

"Tae," he whispered, voice heavy with emotion.

"You saved me from myself. This is how toxic I am, how dangerous I am to myself. I h-hate myself. Can't stand myself. There's always this urge to hurt myself but then you came along. You confided in me when you were hurting. You put your trust in me. You trusted me with every little thing. I vowed right then I w-would never hurt you. T-that I would stay here for you. Be the stable adult you needed," Taehyung said as Jimin gently held his hand and inspected his scars with tears in his eyes.

"You made me feel important. You made me feel like I had some purpose in life. You made me feel safe and secure. Safer than I feel in my house. You- You are my home. It was never the library that made me feel safe. It was you. I always returned here to meet you. Everytime I felt anxious, I c-came here because your presence by me was all it took for me to feel calm and-"

He wheezed and clutched his chest. His bloodshot eyes grew wide as he struggled to catch his breath. Immediately, he was engulfed into a warm hug. The hug he longed for. Not just from anyone. But from his soulmate. His home. The hug he needed.

His body shook with sobs and Jimin only held him tighter. He felt warm tears hit his skin and he knew the other was crying.

"I love you," Taehyung whispered and Jimin rubbed his back soothingly, "Don't l-leave. I-I'm a mess without you. You g-give me strength. You've given me a h-home. You've been my shelter during the storms. You are my anchor in life's ocean. You keep me afloat. Without you, I'd be l-lost. You saved m-me. You're irreplaceable. No one, no one can ever take your place. That's how special you are to me."

"I won't leave. I'm staying," the older whispered, his voice trembled slightly as he continued to hold the younger tight.

Taehyung let his eyes fall close. Nothing else mattered. They would be fine. They'd pull through. Just like they always did. No matter where life took them or what it threw at them, they'd be alright. They'd find their way back to each other. They were soulmates afterall. . .connected by souls and by love. The strongest bond known my mankind.

Word count : 846
Published : 19 May, 2022

- To be continued -