Episode 18: Home Stretch

•••••••••••••
Michael
•••••••••••••

"At some point we're going to have to bust through Nexus when it counts." I said.

"No shit. It's almost night fall and they're probably on our ass for that explosion you guys caused."

"We did not do it on purpose!" Natsuki screamed.

"Just drop it already!!" I yell as the bus goes silent almost immediately.

"If anything we can just avoid them by hauling through places they'd least expect it."

"So? What? You're saying I should run this shit mobile through a minefield of zombies?" Scorpio said with a mocking tone as if he thought I was just saying things.

"Yup, I don't see the issue here. You and Monika upgraded this thing to the point it's fit for war." I say looking back and waving my hand at the gold mine of weapons stashed in the back.

"How the hell did you even get your hands on all of this?" Natsuki asked as she played around with her knife.

Scorpio stayed silent for a moment as his grip on the steering tightened.

"Like I said I wasn't exactly an Angel of the lord back before the outbreak...call me a mobster if you wanna. But back then I used to work under some guy named Carlos who had a great history of selling weapons and documentations...as you could have guessed..not legal."

I pressed my head against the window of my seat as I listen while staring out into the streets.

"One day I get the news from the man himself that he's under threat from some woman named the Green Eyed Mistress and that my boys and I have to get out of the city with everything we owned...The weapons came with me and the money stayed with him. The last thing I ever heard from him was calling someone a bitch over the radio before being shot."

He sighed and continued as we roll up onto the open road once again and at this point I knew it was just smooth sailing from here...or- driving.

"I really didn't care for the guy himself...the man was an asshole. But he was still dangerous and it still shocked me how easily him and his entire gang got taken down by a guy and two girls..."

"Well that's a shamble of a story." Monika huffed.

"Hey I'm trying my best! I ain't some old gramps telling old 'Nam tales." Scorpio yelled in return.

"But- anyway. Me and my boys fled to this city with enough equipment to make WW2 sound like a nursery rhyme and became the last known remnants of our gang....until everything went to shit on a whole nother level...and now it's just me.."

The sadness in his tone was barely readable but I caught onto it. My eyes stayed glued to the outside until my sight was blurred by a droplet hitting the window.

It began to rain...

I stretched a bit and then turned to the girls, "Alright, since we're taking the longer route home I think it's best you three get some shut eye in the mean time."

"What? No I'm fine we're-" I stop Natsuki by reaching over and ruffling her hair.

"Stop with the tough nut act shorty. Seriously, all of you need the rest. Trust me, I'll be up and alert... especially when this ass hat is behind the wheel." I chuckle and point towards Scorpio.