Chapter 20 The Clue

After a few hours of sitting at the table, reading through numerous books, I was starting to fall asleep since I didn't get much sleep the night before. I looked at Lucas, and he seemed fairly awake. My aunt Loraine sat next to Marco, the archivist. The pair were smiling and giggling every time they found a mention of Desmodus. Jakob and I gave each other a look each time that happened. I think my aunt may have discovered her lunar spirit by accident. I sat there reading in mostly silence. I was in no mood to talk to Lucas, and I was all talked out after speaking with Jepson and Jakob. I really just wanted to pass out and forget about any feelings I might have for any of these guys. Just as I was starting to doze off, Lucas shouted.

"Yes! Here, look." Lucas passed his book over to my aunt and Marco. "Look at that. What do you think?"

Marco grabbed the book, adjusted his glasses, and read the text to the room. "The shield of Desmodus was found by the drakuls. The precise location of the shield is unknown. The shield was buried in the ground and discovered by rogue vampires. Upon hearing about the discovery, a lycan archivist was sent to inspect the shield, in the presence of the drakuls." Marco paused. "This is all information that I already knew."

"Keep reading," Lucas insisted. I don't know about Jakob or my aunt, but this was new information to me. I found it interesting that the lycans and drakuls were on good enough terms to allow an archivist to inspect the shield. It reminded me of Vince, the vampire working with us. My perspective of vampires was that they were just monsters, but new information has started to shift this perspective. Marco kept reading.

"Upon inspection of the shield, the archivist took samples of the dirt the shield was found in. Gold flakes were visibly observed, but a mineral analyst has not yet been conducted. The shield had minimal rusting effects. When the vampires were interrogated, they were found north of House Vilks. The rogue vampires insist that they found the shield in the mountains and then traveled north."

"That would explain why the drakuls thought the talisman was in the Dire mountains," Jakob mentioned.

"Exactly, but they haven't found it there, so where else could it be?" Lucas said rhetorically. "Do we know where the shield samples are?" My aunt asked Marco.

"If I had known to ask for samples, I would have when I made my calls earlier. However, if they interrogated the drakuls near House Vilks, I guess that is where the samples would be. I'll go make a call." Marco stood up and gave Lucas a nod, then went to the telephone to call the archivist at House Vilks.

" Marco stood up and gave Lucas a nod, then went to the telephone to call the archivist at House Vilks

"This seems promising," I said aloud.

"I think we're on the right track." Lucas sounded confident, and he seemed more relaxed than he was earlier this morning.

"It says there were gold flakes. Does that mean anything to you, Loraine?" Jakob asked my aunt.

"Unfortunately, gold is found throughout the western mountains, so that alone doesn't narrow down the location. The more interesting clue is that they say there was minimal rust. The Dire mountains are full of iron."