Chapter 25 We Struck Gold

Apparently, Lucas was waiting for me to arrive before my aunt and Marco revealed their findings from testing the shield of Desmodus.

"Hi, sweetie." My aunt gave me a soft hug. She was wearing some new clothes. I'm not sure where she got them from, though. She had on brown cargo shorts and a tie-dye tank top. I could tell that my aunt had a good time with Marco. I'd have to remember to question her more about her time with Marco later.

"Good to see you again, young lady." Marco bowed at me.

We all sat down at the table at the back of the room. I wasn't sure what to expect from the results. Hopefully a clue to the location of Desmodus' talisman.

"So, last night Marco and I ran some samples from the shield to see if trace minerals and elements were left. That would help us narrow down the location, assuming that the shield was buried near the talisman. Of course." My aunt explained. "I've personally been involved in geo-mapping the pack-land, taking soil and rock samples, so I had my colleague email me the map so we can place the shield." Aunt Loraine continued. Her colleague was Gary, a tall, thin man that I thought my aunt had for sure dated in the past, but she didn't confirm nor deny it.

"Okay, great. So, what did you find?" Lucas asked intently. Marco looked at my aunt, and she pulled out a piece of paper with the test results. "We ran a mineral analysis on a small dirt sample from the shield," Marco said confidently.

"The samples contained what I expected. Gold, quartz, diorite, clay, and a few other minerals. However, the results showed insufficient copper and tin, not enough to form ore deposits. Along with evidence of metamorphic rocks and gypsum." My aunt tried to explain that as clearly as she could, but judging by the blank expressions on Lucas and Jakob's faces, they had no clue what she was talking about. Having done some field work with my aunt, I knew what she was getting at.

"Um, okay, so what exactly does all that mean?" Lucas asked, trying not to sound completely clueless.

Marco pulled out a geographic map of the territory and spread it across the top of the table. "This is a geological survey of the Dire mountains. Ground-penetrating imaging and rock samples were used to create these maps. So, as you can see, the Dire mountains are mostly iron, with minimal precious metals, and from what we can tell no signs of metamorphic rocks. It could be possible, but it's doubtful the shield came from here." My aunt explained to us. Marco pulled out another map and laid it on top of the first one.

 Marco pulled out another map and laid it on top of the first one

"Alright, then where?" Lucas furrowed his brow. He was intently paying attention to every thing my aunt was saying.

"This is a map of the Cobalt mountains." Aunt Loraine continued as Marco pulled out the third map, laying it over the previous two. "I bet you could guess why it's called cobalt. The Cobalt mountains are covered in snow for most of the year. Because of the melting snow, minerals precipitate through the soil, creating ore veins. However, no traces of cobalt were found in the sample we analyzed. That doesn't completely elminate it as the location, but probably unlikely." My aunt explained as Marco laid down another map. Lucas seemed to be a bit annoyed that my aunt was telling him where the talisman wasn't instead of where it is.