Chapter 30- Unexpected Twists

Maddie thought about what Abby had said. She needed to stand out. Maddie removed her blue clip and flipped it around so it was on the white side. That would draw attention.

Kevin walked on to the stage. "Ladies and gentlemen, this week has been a rollercoaster. But we finally have a competition. First three up are Maddie, Jojo, and Brooke. They are dancing to Not About Angels by Birdy!"

Maddie gracefully walked onstage and sat in her starting position. She made sure she accented little details to make her seem sharp and light. Brooke and Jojo eventually joined. Jojo was a little wobbly on the turn, but managed to knock it out of the park in the end.

Brooke and Jojo finished the dance. Maddie walked back on at the very end to do a turn and posed like the other two girls. Alex was confused, but Abby knew exactly what was long on. Maddie was standing out.

The girls walked over to the middle of the stage. Kevin looked at the judges, seeing who the first critiquer would be. "Abby. Tell us what you think." Maddie smiled and so did Abby.

"I thought that the dance was perfect. Jojo, really make sure to straighten that leg on the turn." Jojo made a face. She was supposed to do that, have it bent. "Otherwise, good job. Just make sure of that one thing. Other than that, you are golden!"

Maddie smiled, but was a little disappointed. Abby didn't see her attempt to stand out? She quickly ran back to get dressed into the second costume. Meanwhile, Chloe paced nervously.

"What do you mean, you forgot that dance, Zack?" Chloe whispered. "If you do, you are going to be eliminated in a flash. Okay? You'll make me and yourself look bad."

"It's just the turn part!" Zack cried defensively. He put his hands up. "What is it? Double pirouette, six fouettes, an ala seconde, a float, five other fouettes, and then we continue the acro. Are you stretched, was I right?"

Chloe sighed and held her head in her hands. "I'm stretched, you are correct." She brushed a piece of hair out of her eyes and stood at the edge of the stage, where Abby could see her. The whole audience was talking.

"Next we have an acro performance by our Powerhouse Duet. This is Chloe and Zack, dancing to the very popular song All of the Stars!" Chloe gracefully walked onstage to her beginning pose.

When Zack came on after Chloe's intro, it was a train wreck. Zack almost dropped her, and the two were both on different timings. Abby was nervous for the both of them. At the end, Chloe started to cry.

"Chloe, come here," Kevin cooed. She slowly walked over to him, tears brimming her eyes. She wiped a few off, and Zack gave her a hug. "My fault," he whispered.

Chloe nodded. "I know you are blaming yourself. Don't. It's mine, too." She bravely turned to the judges, holding her head high. Her bravery was only being pretended.

"Um, Richy?"

Richy gave them a weak smile. "I know you guys know that your timing was off with each other, so that is why Zack almost dropped you Chloe. But who was on the right timing? I thought the intro was absolute artistry, but hey. Things happen. I thought your technique was the best it has ever been though, if it makes you feel better."

Chloe smiled and Zack gave her another hug. "Thank you," Chloe said, happiness some-what in her voice. Zack walked off with her, and stopped her before they headed to the Green Room.

"See? My fault. I came on late." He smiled shyly. "You're a great dancer, always remember that, no matter what happens. You were one of the best dancers ever that I danced with."

"Thank you. I can say the same," Chloe said, happy with the compliment. "I just wish that those critiques didn't happen. I don't like it when people blame a mess-up solely on themselves, because they are very good, too."