Chapter 6

"So you come under the same bridge I go to?" I ask Kayla as we walked beneath it. Our voices would echo as we talked. "It really hits different, you know?" she says as I look around, loving the sounds of the scenery. "It really does." I'd say as we both walked around for a while, enjoying our time outside. "I'm guessing you're more of an outside person too." Kayla asks as I nodded my head. "It was my only home for a while." I'd say as she looks at me and nods her head as she understood. 

     "Would you want to visit Valerie?" she would ask as I looked flustered. I would stutter over my words, feeling as it if it would be awkward. "You know what, sure." I'd eventually say, looking nervously. "Don't be nervous, I see it in your eyes, Hayley." she says as she pats me on the shoulder. I giggled a bit as I sighed. "I'm fine! It'll be fun." I say as we walked for a few blocks, that's when we would reach Valerie's house. I'd knock on the door as we both awaited to hear from Valerie. 

     The door would open as Valerie grinned. "I see you two are dressed up beautifully for the night." she says as I replied "Yeah, you know, couple friends out for a walk." as we all laughed for a few moments. "Come on in!" she says as we settle in. We all sit in the living room as we discuss what happened lately. "She decided to move in with me!" Kayla said with a happy tone through her voice. Valerie's grin quickly turned into a blank expression as she felt conflicted. She'd stay quiet and look at me as I felt bad. 

     "Are you two okay?" Kayla asked concerned as we both stood silent. "Yeah, I'm fine." I say as Valerie could barely speak. "Valerie, what about you?" Kayla asks as Valerie tries to piece together words. "Oh, I'm uh.. I'm also, fine!" she says laughing nervously. "So who wants wine?" she says as she gets up and heads to the kitchen. "Am I in the way?" Kayla asks me quietly as I shook my head no. Valerie would come back in with a few glasses and the wine. 

     She places the glasses on the table along with the wine. As she would pour the wine Kayla would say "I'm sorry if I'm interrupting you guys." as I tried to assure her she was fine. Valerie would start drinking the wine as she wouldn't speak for a while. "Valerie, can we just go in your room to talk?" Kayla asks as Valerie shook her head. They'd go upstairs and chat for a while. I sat there concerned. 

     "I know you have feelings for Hayley." Kayla tells Valerie. "What are you talking about, we're just having a good time." she replies as she tries to act confused. "The truth is, I also like Hayley." Kayla would say as they stood there in silence for a while. "That's totally fine!" Valerie says as she laughs. "Let's just go downstairs, we're keeping her waiting okay?" she continues saying as she rushes back downstairs. 

     "Sorry to keep you waiting, we just needed to chat." Valerie says as she drinks some more wine in a hurry. Kayla would come down the stairs slowly. "Why do you seem so anxious?" I'd ask Valerie as she laughed. "You're silly, you know?" as she laughed some more. Me and Kayla would look at each other, Kayla would look uncomfortable. "Want some wine Kayla?" Valerie asks as she looks at Kayla standing near the stairs. "I'm fine." she'd say as I get up and confront her. Valerie would quickly follow as she asks why we're acting strange. 

     "I just feel the awkward tension." I'd say as Valerie was still full of laughs. "I don't understand." she'd say as Kayla broke her silence. "You just seem surprised by what I told you upstairs." she'd say as Valerie looked down at her phone. "We should bring Riley over shouldn't we?" she says as she would look at us. "I'm going outside." Kayla says as she rushes outside. I'd stand there conflicted, "I'll go check if to see if she's okay." I'd say as I joined Kayla.

     "Are you doing okay?" I'd ask as she looked at me. "I just needed to process everything." she'd say as I'd understand. "Valerie just seemed off today." she'd say as she seemed irritated. "I don't know why." I said as she nods her head. "We're in the same boat." she'd reply as a car would park in front of the house. "Hey you two!" Riley would say, walking towards the house. "Oh, hey Riley." I'd say as she seemed excited. "I know you guys missed me." she says jokingly as we all head back inside. 

     "Oh you're all here now." Valerie says, drinking another glass of wine. I'd sit next to Kayla as Riley sat next to Valerie. "Want some wine?" Valerie would ask Riley as she said "Sounds great!" as Valerie gets up and heads to the kitchen. She'd grab a glass and head back in the living room. She'd pour her some wine as me and Kayla stood silent. "Why are you two such Debbie downers tonight?" Riley asked me and Kayla. "We're just hanging out." Kayla would say as Riley laughed. "A silent hangout, sounds fun." she said with some more laughter in her voice. 

     We would stay for a while before Riley and Valerie would get tipsy from too much wine. Me and Kayla would talk to each other as we kept our distance from them. They'd get quiet as they slowly began making out in front of us. "Too much wine?" I'd say jokingly as they stopped. "We just need some privacy, we will be right back." Valerie would say as they went upstairs. "Ready to leave?" Kayla would ask as I was more than ready to head back for the night.