Shadow Falls (1)

Have you ever seen a bright lavender? Glittering and glowing in the night? Like a galaxy, straining against a vividly dark sky? Or even a person, who resembles a black hole, a void of color sucking in light? Maybe a person who is blank, like snow, drawing in so much light that everyone must block their view from them?
  No?
  Well then, you obviously haven't visited Shadowfalls.
  It's the place where Voids live on the Southside and Blanks on the North. Unable to touch, unable to interact, unable to acknowledge the existence of the other.
   And then there were the Coloured peoples, taboo and those believe cursed. Poor souls killed at birth because, though you could see and touch orange and purple, you could not be Colourful.
  One of Charlie Jacobs' friends, a boy named Zechariah Malachi, had a little brother. He was Periwinkle.
  You can imagine what happened to him.
  (Ever since then Zechariah Malachi hasn't talked much. Charlie Jacobs notes.)
  Charlie Jacobs on the other hand had an older brother, a Blank, just like her. But her brother made a grave mistake, his mouth ran just a bit too much.
  (He wasn't thinking straight. Charlie Jacobs whimpers. He wasn't...)
  And Charlie Jacobs would too make that mistake, much to her twin sisters disgust, sooner rather than later.
  But that's a story for later.

•••

  Rosie Jacobs is a Blank, like her older brother was and like her twin sister is.
  (I never really understood my brother. Rosie Jacobs claims. His head was always up in the clouds, thinking about how to make the world a "better society", but he just didn't get it. We already have a perfect society.)
  Rosie Jacobs was different from her brother in every way possible. From how her hair is red when her brothers was brown. Her eyes are grey instead of her brothers blue.
  But their Blank Colour, that was shared amongst everyone on the Northside, was the only thing that showed they must know one another in some way, shape, or form.
  (I feel like being Blank is horrid. Have you seen the Colour, Orange? It's beautiful! I wish I had that skin Colour. Could you even imagine?! William Duff smiles.)
  (It's a shame they killed William Duff, he really believed in a better world. Harvey Jacobs says, rocking back and forth. That boy knew what was important.)
  Then there were Rosie Jacobs and Charlie Jacobs.
  Complete opposites besides being twins. Charlie Jacobs was a dreamer and Rosie Jacobs just thought and thought and thought.
  (Can I speak with Lola and Marcus Jacobs? These questions are getting personal Paulina Kame. Rosie Jacobs says awkwardly, I don't want to answer any more questions on Harvey Jacobs.)

•••

  "It's finally Thursday!" Charlie Jacobs says happily, shovelling cereal into her mouth and turning towards the back door backyard. "I'll go help dad."
  "Are you still on board?" Lola Jacobs asks, looking down at her favourite daughter, Rosie Jacobs. "Are you still willing to give her to the Authorities? To allow her to be Infracted?"
  Her daughter nodded, "of course I am, mother. She's seen IT."
  (I love my sister. Charlie Jacobs said, her lips quivering. But she... I... she's not Harvey.)
  (Paulina Kame's face scrunched up, you know the rules.)
  (Harvey Jacobs, I meant.)
  (Thank you.)