In-Between (2)

The explosion had rattled Doreen and Taji down to their very cores. Then of course there were the two dead bodies sitting but ten feet in front of them. They appeared to be almost the same age as Doreen's mortal brother, Eli son of the mortal Thaddeus.
"The... the Inklings are..." gulping, Doreen sat up and looked about carefully. "They're dead, Taji! How'd they even get mixed up in this shit?!"
"I'm not sure, but if the Inklings are starting to come through portals again, if the Guardians have been battered this badly, if Terrabombs are being put into use again, and if the Lost Texts are being spoken aloud again... then these boys were sent here for a reason. It has to be a sign." Taji explained, walking up to where he and Doreen's portal once was. "Keith has been awakened by the Incarnate, Merrywether is waking, and soon a war will soon be upon us."
"What are we supposed to do about? We are the lowest of the low in our castes, we've never been given so much responsibility or power before. 'Beware, beware! Those high will be mighty and those low will be weak, the Upsidedown Kingdom has ended.'" Doreen said, trembling.
The Son of Flame grit his teeth and looked back to the dead Inklings, only moments ago they were alive.
Death weighed heavy on Taji, there was a reason he was in his specific Demon caste, he was used to death; he'd taken his own after all.
But there was a different feeling in watching it happen to others for no good reason, and it didn't sit right with him. "If Merrywether is waking, then it'd be in our best interest to find the Guardians, Doreen. Don't let Eli's death be in vain."
The low ranking Angel looked down and nodded, there was nothing more to do than to try and reform what was left of the realms in the Door Hall (at least he was pretty sure that was this interdimensional space). "'And the prince raised his sword to the sky and let out a cry. There was no hatred or rage, just sorrow and wishes of a better tomorrow. Millions rallied around him because of this, and a new day started with one thought surging through the crowd: Our King will fall.'"