Chapter One - American Pie

Everybody Wants to rule the world - Tears for fears

my fingers brushed against the page of the book that i was reading to, the summer wind touches my soft yet sensitive skin. I was there in the backyard enjoying my summer days by reading books along the time.  for me reading books is one of the things that ease me and prevent me from overthinking, it makes my mind busy.  i inhale the summer afternoon air and took off my eyes on the book for a moment to look around the road. it was near 5PM and the sun is going down already, car flashes who i assume going home and people passing by hovers the environment sounds. i was about to stand up when i heard the door from behind opens.

" all afternoon in here, are we " My Little sister Elizabeth said as she cross her arms and lean over the door as she gaze towards me who is now patting my arse to remove the dirt on it. I smile and walks in her direction. She smile softly. being the two only daughter of Peggy and George Redgrave. We receive a lot of advices from them mainly it's because we are both girls and just like what father says " My two beautiful girls. don't get heartbreaks at the very young age, Love will not flew away, it remains. Don't force things to happened at once. " and here we are. Keeping on the grip onto those words. I look at my sisters eyes, they were just like fathers. i couldn't prevent myself to put my hands above her head and mess it making her slight annoyed and funny at the same time.

Besides of my parents. Elizabeth is one of the most important things in my life. I Promise that when i get out of college, i will be the one who will pay her fees. i see the little me in her. She was brave, Tough and eager to pursue her dreams to be a journalist. 

" And? should i worry about anything? " i said as i put my arms on her shoulders and pulls her close. She shook her head and walks with me inside. " Any plans for summer? " i ask as i put down my book on the table before heading towards the kitchen where mom was cooking for dinner. I walk towards mom and plant a kiss on her cheeks before opening the refrigerator to grab some apple and a can of soda. Elizabeth on the other hand sat down on the couch and shakes her head " i don't know juls. i just want to lay down on the bed, play video games and sleep " i chuckle at her lazy response knowing she wants a full vacation this summer and not to think on going back to school at least this summer. 

Don't get me wrong, Elizabeth loves school but sometimes i catch her at night crying in the piles of books and papers. I don't blame her, i was like that too up until now stressing over my nursing degree.  We just want this schooling years be over so we could work already and help in house needs. Just like what Queen Says Over their song " I want to break free " 

i sat down beside elizabeth and looks at mom whose busy mashing the potatoes. Dad's at office working on some projects. My dad's work is to organize events and Design it. Everything is going smoothly, We don't much have any problems right now who knows. 

" Mom why don't we go on a travel this summer? with dad " i ask as i bite on my apple. Mom smiles and put the pie inside the oven before looking at us " Your dad is very much busy at work, He doesn't have much time for that. " she said and sat in front of us. " eh? can't he just set it aside first? c'mon. family time exist and he has been working there on the office non stop " beth sat up and lean on the couch.  " Your dad is the most busiest person i have ever met in my life, not just because he is always occupied. He just want to continue working until both of you graduates and have a stable job " mom said and smiles down looking at her ring. " but even that, your dad never missed anything, When we are both still dating, He always makes sure that both of us spends much time together when he came home and even in his off. that's one of the reasons why i adore your dad." 

" well dad is handsome too " elizabeth added and it makes the 3 of us laugh as she wiggles her eyebrows at mom. " how was it ' i ask as i look at mom " the what " she asks back. " Loving dad" Mom looks the both of us with so much adoration. " At first, it was like a rollercoaster of feelings. You see, your dad is fortunate and me? nah, We have a simple life far away from the city. it happens that your dad has vacation meeting in our city. I didn't expect anything from that day, all was i expecting is a fine normal day, me going on the farm with your grandpops and there we are feeding some chickens and other farm animals. Your dad appeared with his friends, They book on the apartment near our barn. He was dazzling. oh merlin i remember how he looks like. i admit you both got his good genes. He had blue eyes, tall nose and light brown hair. He was wearing his white shirt with the suspenders on. "

" woah okay loverboy i see you there " i laugh interrupting mom for a moment as i can see mom's reaction while she was telling a story. Mom laughs and continues. " and when she saw me in my summer barn outfit. It all happens that something between that pulls us together when we first lay our eyes with each other. " She stops and stood up to check on the pie, she then took the pie out and get everything done on the table. " and? " i ask as if i'm impatient about it. She looks both of us and smiles and asks us to come on the table and so we did. 

we sat on the table and she came behind us before hugging us " and the journey starts there, your dad go through a lot of challenges, earning a trust and yes isn't that easy " she wipes her hands with a cloth as he stands in front of us " your grand pops ask him to do a lot of things in the barn. if you know what i mean.  He use to run after the sheeps for them to have their cuts, Chase a chickens and Fill the buckets with water. And after many months of hard work, your grandpa finally gives his blessings to us-"

" it ain't easy " a voice from behind appears and as soon as we look over, we saw dad placing his coat on the stand and his keys on the table before he walk towards us. we stood up and run to him and he opens his arms for him to hug us both. Dad groan and laugh " ah, my two girls. Aren't you both too old for this " he jokes before carrying us. I am amazed how dad's bones isn't giving up " not old enough " i said before he gave us both a nose kiss. " your mom telling our story on how she makes me go through a lot of obstacles huh " dad laughs and let us get back to our chairs. dad came behind mom and hug her tight before placing a kiss on her cheeks and left temple. " we asked her " elizabeth says before crossing her arms above the table " they ask, i give " mom exclaimed and hug dad's arms around her waist.

i always adore my parents relationship. i wonder if they both feel bore with each other  " let's eat shall we" dad said as he sit on the center edge of the table. we both nod. Time passes, We finished our dinner, And dad asks us to stay since he want's to make an announcement. i wonder what it is. is he going to retire from his job? did he get a promotion? " dad what is it? " i ask. dad looks both of us mom. " my boss had a talk with me privately in his office and i just found out that... " 

" that? " mom ask with a concerning look 

" he has a under construction building in london " he continues.

" oh .. okay? Shall we worry bout that? " elizabeth follows " Well the thing is, he wanted me to be the one to look after it in a month- "

" what???? george " mom facial expression changes to disappointment thinking that he will leave us for a month. " honey listen to me. let me finish first hmm? " mom nods " i said no unless, my family is going with me and besides it's just only for a month and we will going to be back here in new york " dad continues " and what did your boss told you? " 

" he agrees with it and i said that i will ask for your permission first before giving my answer to him. He said that he will arrange a plane ticket for the whole family and We can live on his penthouse there in london for a month " dad continues. for me it isn't a trouble since my school isn't near yet where in fact it will be after next month. i also thought that it will be a good experience and i never been in london. heard there where many beautiful places there. Same for my sister's situation.

Mom sigh and smile before nodding. " Alright. We are going with you " she holds dad's hands tight. Dad lifts mom hands placing a kiss on it. 

" Where leaving the next day tomorrow " dad added " so both of you. go prepare early, alright? " we both nod and we both decided to go on a quick shopping tomorrow before we leave the next day. 

oh london, what should we expect from you. i whisper under my breath.