Chapter 7

Marc would say he admired your enthusiasm but that would be a lie. You didn't seem to understand the gravity of this situation and thought it amusing to desecrate sacred grounds. Marc exited the car and made his way around to the boot he popped it open and grabbed a few things necessary to the mission. He closed the boot after securing the bag across his shoulders and a familiar voice boomed from atop the car capturing his attention.

"Do not fail here Marc. If you do you might not like my next candidate."

Khonshu tilted his head towards the car beneath him. If he had eyes Marc would have assumed they would be looking for you. He moved towards the cliff edge just beyond the car where a cloud of white blurred past him and the God appeared beside him once again. He was always there.

"Why would I care what you do with her?"

"I do hope your issues won't get in the way this time. You were so close last time."

"Steven won't be a problem."

"The worm? I wasn't speaking of him"

Marc narrowed his eyes and turned to face Khonshu. He didn't like what he was getting at but he knew better than to bite at Khonshu's teasing remarks.

"I'll get it done"

"Make sure you do. There will be no second chances this time"

Khonshu stood tall and took his leave vanishing just as quickly as he had arrived. The god never truly gave Marc a moment to himself if he wasn't there physically he was glued to the mercenary mentally. That coupled with Steven was enough to make Marc crave something to cancel them both out, alcohol helped but he couldn't rely on that to be a permanent solution.

He crouched down on the soft desert sand ignoring how the heat from the ground forced its way to the skin through his pants and picked the binoculars out of his bag. He heard the car door shut indicating you were finally coming after him. He kept the binoculars over his eyes not greeting you when you sunk down into position beside him.

"Who were you talking to?"

You asked curiously. You had watched Marc argue with the air from the front seat of the rented car not being able to make out what he had been saying. You thought he might be making notes aloud but the anger on his features made you second guess yourself. You squinted as you looked at the dig site below you both thankfully it seemed empty aside from a few tents and vehicles that could be hiding some people. You doubted it though when your eyes came across a hole dug out of the earth a little ways from the tents.

"No one"

Marc finally replied and lowered the binoculars before passing them over to you. You took them and when you could actually see what you were doing you started to devise some sort of game plan. Marc had a plan you would have to follow and when it went wrong you could rub it in his face by doing the one you had devised instead. You returned the binoculars to Marc and he put them back in their place within the bag before standing and making his way down the side of the dune. You scrambled up and followed close by not wanting to have to make your own way down.

"It didn't seem like no one"

"Can you just drop it?"

"I was only asking."

You pouted a little and continued your awkward shuffle down the sand until you both made it to more solid ground. He made a bee line right for the entrance to the tomb while you took a more scenic route and poked your head into one of the three tents that were standing guard.

There was no one around they must have been in a rush as a lot of their equipment was still laying around, parts knocked over or completely ruined. You narrowed your eyes and walked into the tent fully wanting to see what else was in here you gave into your curiosity. A strong scent of gasoline hit you now you were enclosed by the fabric walls and caused your hand to cover your mouth and nose your face scrunched in distaste as the smell ran down your throat.