Old Times

July 2012

July 2012

"Not that I'm complaining," Rodrick Lacroix began, whipping his mask off and lowering his saber. "But you haven't defeated me once today. What's the matter with you?"

Sebastien Merrow walked over to the bench nearest his side of the piste and dropped his own mask down on it. The training hall was quiet today. The clashing of steel and squeaks of rubber that often filled the wide-open space absent. It made the place feel foreign to Sebastien, unfamiliar. He glanced up at the wooden beams high above the two men. Rodrick was right, of course. This wasn't like him. As much as Sebastien didn't like to admit it, he was the superior fencer. It was rare for Rodrick to get the upper hand. But today, Sebastien couldn't focus on anything but their going away party, and what he had planned for it. He glanced over at his friend and took a drink from his water bottle.

"I'm going to ask Laura to marry me," Sebastien blurted, his excitement finally getting the better of him.

"Marry you?" Rodrick echoed after a beat of silence. Sebastien wasn't sure what to make of the shock in his friend's voice. "Are you sure?"

"I've never been more sure of anything in my life." Sebastien placed a hand on Rodrick's shoulder, unable to contain his grin. He couldn't understand the surprise on Rodrick's face. His friend must have seen this coming. Anyone who saw how happy Sebastien was with Laura would have seen this coming. "I love her... I can't imagine life without her."

Rodrick shook his head and turned away from him.

Sebastien dropped his hand, which was still hovering between them. "I know - I know I'm being soppy, but it's true. I've loved no one like I love her."

"Laura is easy to love," Rodrick said, and from the tone of his voice, Sebastien wasn't sure he'd meant for him to hear.

"Rodrick-"

"Are you sure marriage is the right step for you right now?" Rodrick said, facing his friend again.

"What do you mean?" Sebastien asked. He was sure Rodrick would have been as ecstatic as he was.

"I don't want you to rush into things with her, that's all." Rodrick turned away again, running a hand through his blond, curly hair. "I care about her. About both of you." He turned his head, pinning Sebastien under his piercing, icy gaze. "I don't want either of you to get hurt. You need to think about it some more."

"I don't need to think about it any more than I already have, trust me," Sebastien pressed, his mood dropping. How could Rodrick even consider the possibility that Sebastien could hurt Laura? It was almost insulting for him to even suggest such a thing. Rodrick was his best friend. He knew him better than anyone else. Sebastien could understand Rodrick being protective over Laura. They had grown up together, they had a bond stronger than blood. Laura had told him how Rodrick had always been like the brother she'd never had. How he'd always been there for her, no matter what. How, when the shit hit the fan at her uncle's house, Laura could always count on Rodrick Lacroix to keep her safe. Sebastien could understand his need to protect Laura. He was grateful for it, even. But Sebastien wasn't some guy messing her around, and Rodrick knew that. "Laura is my soulmate. And as a friend to us both, I want you to be happy for us."