Love

Laura Lacroix stands outside of the Lazy Fox Inn, trying to muster up the courage to go in

Laura Lacroix stands outside of the Lazy Fox Inn, trying to muster up the courage to go in. She knows the person she is here to see won't be as welcoming as Laura would like her to be.

Laura wasn't sure what made her take her morning run past the cemetery. She usually avoided the place, knowing that it would only bring back memories she wasn't willing to relive, but something had guided her there. If she'd taken her usual route, she wouldn't have spotted Sarah Brown, wouldn't have followed her here, wouldn't be standing in a half-empty parking lot begging herself to go in.

Laura hadn't spoken to Sarah since Sebastien's death. Sarah hadn't visited Laura at the hospital once, and wouldn't take her calls once she was out. She hadn't come to Laura's wedding to Rodrick, although Laura couldn't blame her for that.

Last she'd heard, Sarah had moved away, back to her hometown. She had not left a forwarding address. Not for Laura, anyway.

Laura wipes the remnants of sweat off her forehead with the sleeve of her running top and tucks a few loose strands of hair behind her ear. She has to try. She has to try and speak with Sarah, convince her to let Laura back into her life. Sarah was one of the last links Laura had to Sebastien. The only person left in the world who Laura could still share her love for him with.

Laura takes a deep breath and steps through the doors. The air inside is cool, and scented with lavender. The lobby is modestly sized but tastefully decorated. Even the cheapest hotels in Fox Chapel had a veneer of luxury.

When the friendly concierge asks her for her name, Laura gives her her maiden one, Laura Ramsden, before she even realizes what she's done. It doesn't matter. She's not here as a Lacroix anyway.

The wait, while the concierge calls up to Sarah's room, feels like an eternity. With each second that passes Laura loses hope that Sarah will agree to see her, but to her surprise, the concierge sends her up with a room number and directions.

Laura hesitates before she knocks on Sarah's door. She hasn't thought this far ahead, hasn't even decided what she will say. She wasn't really expecting to get this far.

Well, there was no turning back now. Laura raises her hand and knocks firmly on the door.