Clean-up

The house was deathly silent when Caroline Lacroix returned from the greenhouse, carrying her potted Bromeliad

The house was deathly silent when Caroline Lacroix returned from the greenhouse, carrying her potted Bromeliad. It was a silence Caroline had gotten used to over the years, ever since Rodrick had left for college. Albert was always out on business trips, meetings, or god knew what else. Caroline saw her nurse Clara more often than her own husband.

She walked through their immaculate kitchen, where their cook Eliza had left some ingredients out neatly arranged on the white counter for dinner, and into the living room, cradling her beloved plant. The Bromeliad had been feeling a little under the weather, and Caroline wanted to bring it into the house, so she could keep a closer eye on it. She surveyed the wide open space carefully, trying to decide the best place for it. She considered the top of the grand piano before dismissing the idea almost immediately. It would only remind her of how little she played nowadays. The glass coffee table in the middle of the room was out of the question too. The Bromeliad's vibrant red, spear-like flower would look out of place among the clinical white couch and black rug. Caroline was stroking its thick green leaves absentmindedly when she noticed the door to Albert's study was ajar.

Albert must be home. Caroline crossed the vast space of the room towards the study. She rarely went in there at all. It was Albert's private space, a place she didn't have the need to visit, but it was also the only room in the house Caroline felt uncomfortable being in. Unwanted. She couldn't avoid it this time. She had hardly seen her husband since their disagreement in the greenhouse, and while every bone in her body told her not to, she needed to speak with him. She couldn't go on like this for much longer.

As Caroline approached the door, however, she heard the soft murmurs of conversation, and paused.

Albert was with someone, and it was best she didn't interrupt him. Caroline had no interest in anything Albert was up to anyway. From the bits and pieces she'd heard and seen over the years, she knew it was better if she knew nothing at all. She was doubtful that all of Albert's dealings were legitimate.

Caroline was about to turn and leave, having decided the best place for the Bromeliad was the bedroom, when the mention of Horace Merrow's name caught her attention.

She'd heard from Sarah Baker, Horace's housekeeper, that Horace had suffered some sort of accident, and was currently in the ICU. Hoping to hear news on his condition, Caroline tiptoed to the door. Albert would probably kill her if he knew she was eavesdropping, but she'd only stay long enough to find out how Horace was doing.

"Has he woken up?" She heard Albert ask.

"No."

Caroline recoiled at the sound of Lewis Ramsden's voice. Why was he here? As far as she was aware, Albert had cut ties with the man years ago, and Caroline had been glad. Lewis made her skin crawl, with his crassness and emotionless eyes. She knew from Laura that Lewis was a violent, cruel man. It made Caroline happy to know Laura had found someone like Sebastien, who would finally get her out of that house. Laura deserved all the happiness in the world, especially after everything she'd been through, the poor girl. It did sadden her, knowing that Laura's relationship with Sebastien hurt Rodrick, of course. Although her son would never admit it to her, Caroline knew that what Rodrick felt for the Ramsden girl was more than friendship. If only she could mend his heart like she mended her plants. If only she-