Caroline

District Attorney Horace Merrow walked into his office and shut the door behind him. He could count on one hand the times he'd had to fight his way through a hoard of reporters on his way in like this. While other DAs might have welcomed the media attention, Horace did not. He'd rather spend his time working on getting justice than fielding questions.

"They said I would find out today," Assistant DA Lawrence Degas was saying into his cell. "No, I... I understand. Of course, thank you." Lawrence's shoulders slumped as he spoke, his voice dropping. Whatever the subject of the phone call, Lawrence was unhappy with the news. Horace cleared his throat, not wanting to seem like he was eavesdropping on a private moment. Lawrence snapped his head round at the sound and hung up immediately.

"No need to hang up, son," Horace said, dropping his briefcase on his table, and drawing the blinds shut. The small office was stuffy, but he couldn't bear to see the crowd of bloodsuckers forming outside.

"It wasn't important, sir." Lawrence stuffed the phone into his pocket. "Everything okay?"

"It's those vultures." Horace gestured at the crowd beyond the window. "They're harassing me day and night, here, at home..." He sighed again. "I'd like to know how the hell they found out about this case." Horace paused and took in the young ADA standing in front of him. Lawrence had drive, he was ambitious, but it took more than ambition to make it in this business. Lawrence lacked talent, an innate gift for law. It was the reason he was still with the pre-trial unit. Others hired after him had already moved up into the Phoenix Docket Unit or even General Trial. Others like Horace's son, Sebastien, who'd been working with the GT unit for months now. His performance was drawing the attention of other DAs, and not because he was his own flesh and blood. Sebastien had gotten where he'd gotten on his own merit, his own talent. Horace had never, not once, had had to pull strings or owe favors in Sebastien's name. Horace needed someone like Sebastien on this case. Someone with talent, yes, but also with heart. Alas, Sebastien's fate lay with other things. Greater things.

"You think someone here leaked the information?" Lawrence asked, forcing Horace out of his own thoughts.

"Very few people know the details of this case." Horace nodded. "One of them has sold this to the press, and I need you to figure out who."

Lawrence pulled at his tie and averted his gaze. "Of course. Leave it with me."

Horace was about to dismiss Lawrence when a knock on the door interrupted him. Before either man could react, the door opened, and Sebastien stuck his head in. "Is this a bad time?"

"Not at all. Come in, come in." Horace waved his son in, and Sebastien entered the office, shutting the door behind him.

"I was hoping I'd find you here. I have incredible news!" Sebastian crossed the room in a couple of long strides, the excitement exuding from him. He was vibrating with energy. "I couldn't wait until you got home to tell you. They have offered me the ADA position with homicide in DA Walsh's office!"