Ghostlight

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters and art used in the story. AU and OOC

30 years on the Celestial Mountain (6 years in the Cultivation Realm)

Every time something would bother him, his feet would take him to the small village outside Ghost City. The night Wei Ying vanished from the inn in Lingjian, leaving Wangji behind wasn't different. Part of him wanted to burn the world to make it pay, but would it make his Jiejie happy? He doubted it. It has been a long time since he even thought about sects. Their audacity to call themselves righteous. Was it because of Lan Wangji? Did his visit bring up forgotten emotions? Wei Ying sneered. 

Her sister sense pushed her towards the lake, and as usual, it wasn't wrong. His slender back stood against the dawn and shimmering with the first rays of day lake. Wen Qing soundlessly walked over and plopped on the pier beside him. "What's troubling you, Didi?"

Wei Ying smiled. "You always see straight through me, Jiejie."

"Of course, I'm your older sister. Who will if I can't see my little brothers' struggles?"

"I wouldn't call it a struggle,' he replied, twirling Chenqing between his fingers. "It's more like an annoying pest."

Wen Qing chuckled. "Let's hear it."

"During the night hunt outside the mountain, I bumped into Lan Wangji. He was looking for me."

She could hear her non-existent heart pounding. The amount of pain that person caused her Didi was unbearable, and now he is looking for him? How dare he?! 'At least, A-Ying doesn't seem bothered by it. He truly erased it, didn't he? I hope he isn't here to drag A-Ying into sects' problems.' Wen Qing closed her eyes and slowly counted to ten, then smiled gently and looked at her Didi. "What for?"

"Hm?"

"Why is he looking for you?"

"Oh, apparently he loves me,' Wei Ying shrugged. "Anyway, seeing him reminded me of sects and crimes they committed against you. Crimes no one paid for. Isn't it convincing to use one person as a scapegoat? They are all as guilty as Jin Guangyao. The part of me wishes I took Hua's offer and burned them to the ground."

Wen Qing was amazed at how little he cared about Wangji's confession. "I understand how you feel, but sometimes it's better to let go."

"But..."

"No buts," she shook her head. "There was time I wanted to make them pay for what they did to you, but being able to sit like this with you? It's so much more worth it than revenge, Didi. I'm content with my life here."

"Qing-Jie," he said softly, leaning his head on hers.

Wen Qing surrounded his shoulders with her arm while her other hand gently patted his head. "There, there," she whispered. "No matter what you do or who you will become, you will always be my little brother."

He could not argue with her. Wen Qing was his precious sister, and he would always follow her wishes. Before he met her, Wei Ying would always be alone. Surrounded by people yet alone. He was like a bird without the wings to fly, focused on protecting people who did not deserve it. Chained down but a false sense of duty and debts that should not exist. Abused to be the point, he believed their words. It was hard to breathe sometimes, yet he couldn't see the way out. Then his Jiejie stepped into his life. No matter how hard it was, she wouldn't give up on him. Wen Qing would soothe his nightmares and pull him to the light. She taught him that he doesn't owe anything to anyone. She was like a hurricane who saved his life. Then his world came crashing down. Sects took her away from him. Their greed took everything from him.