Questions

Disclaimer: I do not own the characters and art used in the story. AU and OOC

A/N: We reached the point Wei Ying uses three different skins. Shen Ying - his real appearance since he became Ghost King. Wei Ying - fake skin he uses on the Celestial Mountain and in Cultivation Realm. Shang Yu - fake skin he uses while playing around in Mortal Realm. To make it more clear which one is he currently using, I will keep using the corresponding name in the story instead of the usual Wei Ying.

6 and half years in the Cultivation realm (~32 years on the Celestial Mountain)

Wangji woke up with a pounding headache and muddled memories of last night. Mornings like this made him realise why sometimes Wei Ying would drink all the time, especially after Sunshot Campaign. Drowning one's regrets and feelings in wine had a massive drawback. Once the effect wore off, everything would hit him with doubled intensity. It felt like his own mind was taking advantage of his vulnerability to torture him with memories of his biggest mistakes. After a few years, he even stopped questioning it and accepted it as his punishment.

His slender yet muscular body was submerged in hot water while his thoughts finally faded. Wangji closed his eyes, giving in to the relaxing bliss of a scented bath. It has been more than two years since he left Gusu. A lot has happened since he saw his brother last time. He could not help but wonder if Xichen would be surprised how much he had changed. Once cold and avoiding other person had a roommate now. Suddenly, Wangji remembered that he had invited Shang Yu to stay with him yesterday. He wasn't used to having visitors, but even he knew it was poor manners to sleep late and keep his guest hungry.

Lured by the tantalising aroma and clutter in the kitchen, Wangji hurried there. Shang Yu stood in front of the stove, stirring something in the pot and humming a cheerful melody. As if he sensed Wangji's presence, the man turned around with a wide smile.

"I took the liberty of cooking my hangover soup. I hope you don't mind."

Surprised, Wangji shook his head. Shang Yu felt like Wei Ying. Smiled like Wei Ying. Talked like Wei Ying, but it wasn't him. He didn't eat spicy food and could cook. Grey as a stormy sky eyes lacked the enchanting hue of the moon. It was impossible for him to be like Wei Ying. After all, no one could ever replace him.

"Perfect. It's the least I can do in return for letting me stay here."

Wangji couldn't help but notice how natural it felt to set up the table together and share a meal. It didn't feel like they met yesterday, but as if Shang Yu had been a part of his life since he could remember. Maybe it was a ghost bewitching him with a sense of familiarity? Wangji glanced at the drinking tea man. His chest moved in a rhythm of the regular breath. The skin on his neck looked silky soft with a healthy tinge of pink. His mind wandered to the inn in Yunping City and his lips travelling on his white skin. Hushed moans and feverish gazes.

"Lan Zhan? Oi, Lan Zhan?"

"Mm?" he hummed, pulling himself away from memories.

"Where were you?"

"Past with Wei Ying," Wangji replied without thinking. "I apologise. I tend to get lost in memories a lot."

Their conversation was cut short by a loud knock and a distressed voice. Several villagers brought a fisherman with a request for help. Many water ghouls attacked the fishing village, and a few boats were trapped in the sea. They already sent the message to the Celestial Mountain, but it will take more time for their disciples to arrive. Wangji grabbed Bichen and rushed outside with Shang Yu close behind him.

"Was there any major accident on the sea recently?" Shang Yu asked as they flew their swords.

"No, but I heard the sea became more dangerous recently," he replied, glancing at his sword. The hilt was deep red and wrapped with black leather straps to create a diamond-like pattern. A small yet intricate circle connected it with an incredibly thin blade. It was built for speed and precision. It reminded him of Suibian.