Chapter 41: First Year at UA IV

A/N: Sorry for this roller coaster of a chapter, but hey, I did give you guys something you've been waiting for! Just a little bit, though! Another reminder that I changed the timeline around!

Also, low key, I had another lifeguard training to prepare for opening weekend, and I am exhausted in all the best ways. Once the season starts, I'm going to try my best to keep with the same schedule that I have (that is, posting every five days). If that becomes no longer manageable, all of you will be the first to know! Honestly, I do think I might be able to manage it. I'll have a lot on my plate this summer, but writing is not a chore for me; it's my way to decompress and I really, truly enjoy every second of it. I don't think my writing or schedule will change, but I just wanted to give you guys a heads up, just in case, because I know a lot of you really appreciate that I update so regularly.

Trigger Warnings: disassociation, schizophrenia, hallucinations

After everyone had moved into the dorms and unpacked, Kirishima and Bakugou made a beeline to Denki's room. Unfortunately, they weren't surprised to find him sitting on his sheetless, unmade bed, slouched over in a way that should be painful, staring at the wall opposite of him. They had thought that he was lost in thought a lot recently, but Kirishima's mind conjured the idea of Denki disassociating, and now that thought wouldn't leave him alone. It didn't help that Denki seemed so... empty.

When yellow eyes flicked over to the newcomers, it didn't reassure Kirishima at all. It was like he was looking through them instead of at them.

"Hey, Kaminari!" Kirishima chirped, charging right into his room with a pep in his step, like if he had extra energy wafting off of him, some of it might seep into Denki.

"Oh, you don't have to," Denki muttered, moving to stand up when Kirishima started unpacking the untouched boxes.

"No big deal, man. Let me help you out, yeah?" Kirishima chirped, beaming fantastically at Denki with his sharp, white teeth. Kirishima knew that he always felt better when his space was tidy and organized, even if that had nothing to do with whatever was on his mind. If he could help Denki in this small way, it would be an honor to help his friend.

It was the first time in a while that anyone had smiled at him, and it did make him feel a little more present, so Denki nodded and collapsed back onto the bed, opting to stare straight up at the ceiling instead of the wall.

Denki's body bounced a little when Bakugou flung himself onto the bed as well. While Kirishima began to unpack and organize to take care of Denki's physical space, Bakugou had set his sights on Denki's mental space, and Bakugou wasn't discouraged by Denki's lack of reaction.

"Do we need to take a trip down to the junk yard later?" he muttered, looking sideways at Denki as he just stared straight up. At least he wasn't crying.

"No. That's okay," Denki answered, quieter than usual.

In Denki's defense, Bakugou was being much quieter than usual, too, so maybe he was just using his social genius to match the tone and volume. Denki knew it wasn't that, of course, but it made him feel a little better to think it might be a possibility. At that point, he would take anything he could get. But then he would start to feel guilty because how dare he feel better when he didn't know how the League of Villains was faring? How dare he be safe, let alone happy, when he didn't even know if Shigaraki was alive?

"If I have to drag you there by your—" Bakugou started to threaten lowly, only to be cut off.

"Who are we dragging where by their what?" Neito interjected from the open doorway, letting himself in.

Bakugou wasn't even mad about getting cut off. He wasn't even mad about Neito just barging right on into his friend's room. He was a little relieved, even—not that he would ever admit that out loud. Neito had really proven himself in Bakugou's eyes since Denki's rescue.