CHAPTER 31: ZOO DAY

Sydney said "I don't want to do this, but I should go to bed. I'm afraid I'm going to fall asleep I'm so comfy on your shoulder"  Tom said "that would be ok with me. I have missed holding you."  Sydney said "I know but the kids, They get up early, and would come running out"  Tom said "Right you're right."

Sydney kissed him.  She said "I love you. Tommy thank you for today For saving them"  Tom said "Syd I didn't do anything for the kids. You kept them safe ok. They were never in danger."

Sydney said "You were amazing Tom.  you know from day I found out you were a cop I thought you were the best cop ever."  Tom smiled.  He said "um yeah I don't think that's true"  She said "What. I have always thought you were a great cop"  Tom said "yeah but I mean when you first found out baby, you weren't thinking that. I swear you were so mad at me. I was so scared I was going to lose you."  Sydney laughed.  So did Tom.

Sydney said "you're right. When I first found out I wasn't thinking you were a good cop"  Tom said "you weren't thinking I was a good guy either"  Sydney said "no I thought you used me for information"  Tom said "I know."  Tom kissed her.

Tom said "I'll let you go to sleep, but I just want to say one thing"  She said "ok"  Tom said "Syd I really need you to believe me ok. I know that you aren't that shy beautiful teenage girl who had a huge crush on me and thought I walked on water. You grew up into a beautiful stunning gorgeous hot sexy woman, all woman, and I know you don't think I walk on water, and you don't need me. You're courageous, strong, brave, intelligent, but baby I am so in love with you, even more now than I was back then, if that's possible.  Watching you with our kids, takes my breath away. You are amazing with them."  She smiled.  He said "night Sydney"  She said "I love you"  She kissed him.  She went to bed.

She came back out.  She said "hey Tom"  He said "yeah"  She said "I thought you night want to see your kids, they are so sweet when they sleep. Sometimes they hold hands. Tonight they are."  Tom said "Really I would love to see."  She took Tom's hand and took him in bedroom.  They were cuddled up together, both girls had Tommy's hand. Tom had tears in his eyes.  He left the room.

Sydney followed him.  After he got in living room he cried.  He said "I didn't want to take chance waking them. That is the sweetest Sydney."  She said "I know."  She hugged him.  He said "how can you not hate me. I've missed 3 years Sydney"  She said "I never hated you. I loved you always. And we can't focus on the time you missed.  They need you now Tom. I know it hurts you missed 3 years. But they have you now.  I want to tell the kids now."

Tom said "Sydney can we um wait"  Sydney said "um yeah ok but why, are you having second thoughts or"  Tom said "no not at all. I just want to make sure that everything is perfect when I tell them.  I just want to have them already love me before they find out. I'm afraid that they will resent me for being gone, and not sure how to explain why I was gone for 3 years. and I just worry I mean I can't tell the girls apart Sydney. I'm trying. The only time I know which one is which is when they say their name"  Sydney said "Tom it will take some time ok. It's fine. It's not going to hurt them. And they are crazy about you. But yeah we can wait till you're ready. I just don't want to wait too long"  Tom said "no just give me another week with them maybe."  Sydney said "ok"

Sydney said "Tom."  He said "yeah"  She said "I'm scared."  Tom said "Baby the kids are safe.  You're safe. If I have to I'll start sleeping outside in my car if you feel this neighborhood isn't safe"  Sydney said "no I didn't mean that."  Tom said "come here."  He led her to the couch.  He said "are you scared I'm going to hurt them. Sydney I swear I won't. I want be a full time dad and your man, husband if you'll marry me"  Sydney said "your mom"  Tom said "What about her?"  Sydney said "I'm afraid she's going to be so mad at me, and probably try to talk you into taking them away from me."  Tom said "Baby no don't worry about that."  Sydney said "Tommy she didn't like me I mean with you. She was thrilled when we broke up"  Tom said "i know and I'm so sorry. I had no idea that she was saying all that to you. I knew she didn't want us together, she thought you were too young for me to be so serious with, since you'd be going to college and medical school. But I told her to stop saying that to me or else I wouldn't come around"