Chapter 4: It Was Never Meant To Be

Dream POV

I laughed bitterly. Of course one of the rarest diseases to ever exist, Hanhaki, got to me.

Hanahaki, originating from Japan, a curse from Apollo because he was rejected by a mortal woman. Made from a love potion he had from Aphrodite and his power over plagues, it was rare, and scientifically impossible, therefore declared a fiction disease, a myth. But I knew better. Dealing with myths my whole life, I was no stranger to them.

I knew my lifetime left was short. At least I lived over 20, 2 wars, and got to meet-up with George and Sapnap. I smiled.

I scooped up the petals and wiped away the blood from my mouth and desk. Gingerly fingering the blood-stained petals, I sighed. The words of Aphrodite came back to me.

I promise I'll make your love life interesting one day!

Interesting, right. Fell in love with George and Sapnap, dated Annabeth only to be cheated on by her, then developing Hanahaki from a one sided love of an old crush. That is not what I'd call interesting. More like torture.

But I really couldn't blame her. After all, it was Apollo who issued this curse, and it was Annabeth's free will to cheat on me. She was one of the only gods to stand by me.

I remembered something Annabeth once told me about Hanahaki.

The victim coughs up the favourite flowers of the person they love, starting small like a couple petals a day. It gradually increases, until full flowers can be coughed out. But when the flowers begin to wilt when coughed out, it signals that one's life is about to end.

Of course, this doesn't always happen, after all, it's a 1% chance in all the world. However, there is only one treatment: confessing to the person, and the person returns the feelings. It can happen to both demigods and mortals alike, although it is more common amongst demigods.

Hanahaki can last from 1 month up to 2 years. The more you interact and develop feelings for the person, the faster the process is. The best way is to either avoid the person, or confess.

My life has been nothing but chaos. Demigods never lived long lives, and the ones that do certainly aren't children of the big three.

Theseus, Hercules, Orion. Three sons of the big 3, and neither of them lived to 30 years old before they were dead or resurrected as gods.

Why would I be an exception?

I may have removed all my demigod traces, but what was from the sea, always returns to the sea. I can never full get them out of my genes, and I will always be part of the ocean.

My phone dinged, reminding me I had a scheduled meeting with some of the SMP members. I hopped on my computer, sipping some water to clear my throat and wash the blood from my mouth. I felt the small buds of what I now identified as flowers shrink slightly as I drank the water, the moisture in the air I breathed in tried healing me. Although it was a fruitless attempt, at least it slowed down the process.

All was going well. I had no coughing fits during the meet. We were discussing some cool ideas for future lore streams.

But of course, Karma just decided to pay me a visit.

We were talking about putting me in prison, the Pandora's Vault, when Tommy voiced something out of the blue.

"What if we met up?" He blurted.

Silence. Absolute silence.

"Too soon? Uh, never mind, uh, let's-"

"That's a great idea Tommy!" Wilbur screams, excitement clear in his voice.