ೃ⁀➷𝘈 𝘳𝘶𝘥𝘦 𝘢𝘸𝘢𝘬𝘦𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨

╔══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╗

"Oi, brat! Wake up!" The startling sting of water hit her face like a slap.

"You're lucky I was already having a bad dream or I would've made this bed your death bed," she muttered murderously.

"Shut your mouth before I show you a real nightmare." The balding man grabbed her collar, breath reeking of liquor and cigarette smoke.

She whipped her head around, eyes widening before her attention returned back to his alcohol reddened face.
"Never mind, seems like the nightmare's not over yet. Wait- where am I again?"

The man shook his empty beer bottle in her face. "I ain't got no time for slackers like you. If you think being new 'round here will get you any special treatment, you're wrong. Get to cleaning duty now."

"Two negatives make a positive so technically you're saying that you do have time for-"
He slammed his beer bottle on the wall beside her, glass shattering on impact. She watched with mild interest as the viridian shards glinted dully in the morning sun before landing on her lap.

"Okay okay, I'm going." She held her hands out placatingly. The man merely huffed and stumbled out of the room in a drunken stupor. She took a moment to inspect the dingy room, decorated with cobwebs and mildew at the corners.

"Not exactly the kinda room I'd dream about but...fitting for a nightmare of this calibre."
There was a cracked, dusty mirror propped up on the wall opposite her bed. She almost jumped at the sight of a girl that wasn't her.

The long purple hair was new. So were the brown eyes. And the by far the most glaringly obvious difference...
"Why am I like 4 years old?!"
She panicked, tugging at her hair, only to see the girl in the mirror mimicking her frantic movements. She slapped her cheeks to ground herself back in reality.

Wait, this is my reality now. Why can't I just change it?

And so, she screwed get eyes shut and clenched her fists.

Not 4, not 4, not 4...

She peeked at her reflection once more, staring back at it in disappointment when she realised nothing had changed.

A gasp came from behind her. An adorable girl peeked from the door, emerald eyes watching her cautiously.

"Hey-"

She quickly took off before she could even finish her sentence. There was really nothing else to do other than run after her. Predictably, this failed.

"Wait! Who are you..." she trailed off. After rounding a corner she was at the crossroad of a few corridors with no clue where the girl had gone.

Luckily, there was a boy with with a deadened grey gaze sweeping the rotting floorboards to her right.

"Excuse me? Did you see a girl with pink hair and uh...cat ears?"

"You mean that freak Anya?" He sneered. "You shouldn't get involved with someone like her."

"What do you mean?"

"She's always lurking around all creepy like she knows something. There's seriously something wrong with her, it could be infectious."

What a childish reason to regard someone with so much contempt.

"I think I can decide that for myself, thanks."

With that, she marched off in the opposite direction. Once again, with no idea where she was going.

"Why did you stand up for Anya?" A timid voice came from behind her.

She spun around, seeing that it was indeed the same girl. This time clutching a mothbitten toy to her chest.

She thought for a moment, mind coming up blank.

Good question. I don't even know this girl.

"A-anya likes peanuts!"

"Okay...?"

That was pretty random. Though, I suppose I like peanuts too.

The girl literally began to sparkle somehow.
"Anya also likes you! Anya wants you to be her big sister!"

"W-what?!" She spluttered.

Just how desperate is this kid?

She hesitated, not knowing what to say.

"D-does Lia not want to be Anya's big sister?" Her voice trembled and her eyes began to water.

"Wait! I didn't say that!"

She fumbled for something, anything, to diffuse the situation. Reaching into her pocket, she found a conveniently placed peanut.

"What the actual f- um, I meant here you go!" She said, presenting the single peanut to her with an air of flourish and false bravado.

But seriously, how did that get in there?

Anya looked equally confused but thankfully seemed to have the attention span of a goldfish and took the peanut as if she'd been handed a 24 karat diamond.

"Waahh! Big sister is the Anya's favourite!" The blinding smile was back on her face and Lia let out a sigh of relief.

It was only later that she wondered how Anya knew her name.

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝