ೃ⁀➷𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘶𝘨 𝘭𝘪𝘧𝘦 𝘤𝘩𝘰𝘴𝘦 𝘮𝘦

A/N: Feel free to ignore this though if you're like me and always skip the author notes.

Now that we're launching into something resembling a plot, I just wanted to thank everyone that read and for some reason liked this fic. This heart is for you!
    ᐢ⑅ᐢ
꒰ ˶• ༝ •˶꒱.          ╔══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╗
./づ~ ♡
A voice modulator. That was the first coherent thought she managed to string together after minutes of staring numbly at the receiver, hoping she'd misheard.

The voice had been abnormally deep but that could've just been reverse psychology. Giving off the impression that they were a man to through her off.

Or maybe reverse reverse psychology wherein they wanted her to think that they were a woman pretending to be a man when they were actually a man.

Her head hurt from thinking, the thoughts swimming languidly through like molasses.

Was it a threat? It had sounded quite threatening.

"Well...that was weird."

She figured whoever had called intended to...scare her?

How had they even known? Maybe there was another way the message could be interpreted? She wracked her brain but couldn't come up with anything.

It was certainly a disturbing thought. More disturbing was the way she tried to figure out if it was someone she knew.

That was when she realised. She couldn't remember anyone. It had been easy to ignore, distracted by a whirlwind of sea foam green eyes and cotton candy pink hair.

She couldn't recall a single name of any of her friends, even family. Her entire life reduced to a camera roll of blurry faces and muted voices up until the point she woke up in the orphanage.

What had she been doing before that? She slapped her forehead to no avail. Frustrated, she bit the inside of her cheek, tasting blood.

Blood.

A stark white hospital room, antiseptic that stung her nose, scratchy linens and blinding fluorescent lighting.

An iv hooked to her arm. A clouded intention to pull it off. The metallic tang of blood. A muddle of sounds and voices.

"The patient's awake," they said in hushed  tones.

"Where am I?"

A gentle hand on her arm. A gentle push back down. A single syllable, "rest."

"Where am I?" She insisted.

"It must...confusing....coma... a year-"

"A year? No. No it- it hasn't been a year."

"It... take time...adjust," the doctor spoke calmly,"...your name?"

"What's my name? My name is..." she frowned. "I-I don't know," she said quietly.

"...okay...calm...."

"No, it's not okay. What's my name?" She repeated with an edge of panic.

She was greeted with pitying looks, sympathetic smiles.

"Don't look at me like that. Like- like you understand or some bullshit. I don't know my own name."

She vaguely remembered yanking off the sheets, the iv stand clattering to the ground.

The doctor saying,"get...anaesthesia...". Her brimming with too much hysteria to care. The dusky descent into oblivion.

"...no records...doesn't...name...we do?"

"We'll...unstable.....orphanage....take..."

Lia groaned. The anaesthetic must've messed with her recollection. After creating a mental timeline, she assumed this memory had taken place right before she woke up in the orphanage.

So what did it mean? Nothing, if this was a dream. Dreams were hazy figments of the imagination and when existing in one it's a given that memories of the real world will slip through your fingers like sand.

But...if it wasn't a dream?

Lia fiddled with the coiled wire attached to the receiver in her hand, wondering if there was a way to track the IP address of the call.

That was when she heard it. A distinct scraping of metal through the front door.

Well, that was fast.

"Did you forget your keys after imprisoning..."She opened the door to three...thugs?

"Uh," she articulated eloquently.

Loid's friends? She thought she'd ruled out the escaped convict theory but maybe...

"Who's the random kid?"

"If she's in twilight's apartment she's gotta be worth something. Grab her."

Not Loid's friends then. Or should I say Twilight's? Whoever that is.

One of the men began to move towards her.

"Whoa hands off, is this part of the recruitment process? I'm really sorry to disappoint you guys but I was only considering it when I thought I was going to be ditched outside a bakery with an orphan," she admitted.

I really need to stop running my stupid mouth when I'm nervous.

"Enough with the chit chatting, what're you waiting for?"

Lia backed away from them slowly, keeping them in her sight at all times.

"I don't think you wanna touch me," she warned. "I have lungs and I'm not afraid to use them."

He lunged towards her. So, as any girl would, she screamed.

"HELP, THERE'S A BAD MAN TRYING TO TOUCH ME," she darted out of the way. "HE'S SUPER OLD AND LOOKS LIKE A PEDO-"

A grimy hand slapped over her mouth. She briefly contemplated the idea of licking it but then decided it wasn't worth it.

If they don't kill me, a fucking staph infection would.

"She's more trouble than she's worth, shut her up," the thug ordered.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Anya trying to sneak away before bright white lightening exploded in her vision and it all faded to black.

╚══ ❀•°❀°•❀ ══╝