Chapter 9

"Going somewhere?" A voice asks behind me. The voice sounds too familiar. I turn around to find Valarie standing under the moonlight, her midnight hair cascading down her shoulders and her face ever so stern.

"I asked a question" she says nonchalantly.

I hadn't thought about her until now. I hadn't thought about how she'd react to me leaving, and by the look she's giving me now, I can tell that she's not happy.

I straighten by back and look at her straight in the eyes "I'm leaving."

The short moment of courage quickly fades away when Valerie starts taking slow but long strides towards. With each steps she takes forward, I take a step backwards.

"I have been nothing but kind to you. I found you on the very brink of death and brought you back to life. I fed you clothed you, for nearly a month. And yet you couldn't even bring yourself to say goodbye."

She comes to a halt just a few centimeters away from me. I can smell her strong cologne, and the heat radiating from her. It's messing up my senses. I want to answer and maybe give her a possible explanation.

"I.." is all I can say at the moment the fear gripping me is too deep.

"You what!" She let's out with a bit of aggression which forces me to move back a few steps in fear of her lashing out at me.

"I was scared okay!" I say with equal amount of aggression.

"What could you possibly be scared of that would cause you to leave I told you that no harm will ever come to you as long as your under my roof."

"That's the thing. I was scared of you!"

The angry look on her face vanished, replaced by one of sadness and hurt. She took a few steps away from me to give us some room.

"The things you said in the garden got me thinking. Thinking about my safety her. I mean let's be honest I'm just a powerless human surrounded by vampires with 10 times my strength."

I sigh "and I thought that you were probably going to take advantage of me."

She still hasn't said a word to me, she just continues looking at me with grief filled eyes.

"When I confessed my feelings for you in the garden earlier, I had no expectations of you reciprocating them. I however in saying that had hoped that you'd give me a chance, a chance for me to get to know you beyond just vampire and human. If I had known that it would make you feel this way I never would have said anything."

There aren't any words to describe the amount of guilt that came over me when she said that. She had stood there confessing her heart out to me instead of really getting to know the whole story I ran.

"I had no idea."

"Of course you didn't. If you did you would have given me a chance to explain myself. But if you still want to leave back to the village I will not stop you. But I will warn you of the many dangers you will face during your journey."

I stood rooted on the spot. Deciding whether to go or not. I turn and glance at the deep dark forest, and then back at her. I had a choice, hard one at that. My time here has been pleasant up until that moment in the garden. Maybe I was quick to judge.

But I also had to think about my life. If I dont leave now, will I ever leave, and when?. With I heavy heart I got on my tippy toes and placed a kiss on Valarie's  soft but cold cheek. As my way of saying goodbye to her.

"I'm sorry but I must leave. Maybe some day we'll meet again under different circumstances." I say to her

She frowns deeply and says " I understand and thank you for the wonderful past few weeks you've spent here. A person like me has such little expectations in life. However I've found myself anticipating everyday that would spend with you. Farewell."

I say the same to her and walk the short distance to where the forest. I look back at her and think if this is the right decision. Maybe if I gave her a chance we could have been happy, I could have been truly happy for once in my life.

__________________________________________