3| The Boy Himself

Helloo guys, here's chapter three! :)

I am strong.

TEN O' CLOCK saturday morning came way too fast for my tastes, and all too soon I was opening up the door to the jock himself, Cole Grimes. Mom was in the kitchen, cooking breakfast for herself and talking on the phone, but she poked her head through our sliding door to the entryway when she heard the door open.

"Oh, Haylee, is this the boy that Mr. Paiter is making you cancel your-"

I cut her off quickly, "Yea, he is. Mom, this is Cole Grimes."

She narrowed her eyes at the boy, recognizing the name from both the papers and the numerous household conversations. "Ah," is all she said, before turning back into the kitchen.

Cole didn't seem remotely fazed by her reaction to his presense, and instead turned impatiently to me. "Are we gonna get this over with? Can we go up to your room or something, or should we do it here in the living room?"

Of course, at his words, my mother's head reappeared in the doorway. This time she looked alarmed, "Haylee?!"

I blushed crimson as I realized how those words had just sounded, "I'm tutoring him, Mom, we have math homework and we're not friends."

"Alright..." she still looked skeptical as she returned into the kitchen, and Cole let out a snort of amusement as she left.

I gave him a sharp look, and then turned and led the way deeper into our house. Thankfully, everything was neatly in order as we passed various rooms. Dad was working in his office next to the empty looking living room, and the stairs were just beyond that. When I glanced back at Cole, I noticed he was looking around in surprise.

"Come on, gawker," I waved impatiently for him to follow me.

"Gosh, could you be more impatient?" Cole snarked back, but he followed me all the same.

I fiddled with my hair as I led him up our brown wooden stairs and into my room. Earlier in the day, after I'd finished my morning routine, I'd tied it into a neat ballet bun on the center of my head. My clothes were a simple saturday outfit, black leggings and a plain lavender t-shirt. Cole looked casual, too, in blue jeans and a cream colored graphic tee depicting the Rocky Mountains.

He took a seat on my bed as I sat down at my desk and pulled my homework out, "Ready?"

Cole lazily turned his eyes to me, "You don't seriously think I'm going to do homework, do you?"

"Well if you won't, then you can just get out," I replied, somewhat relieved that he would leave.

My hopes were turned down as the boy let out a long sigh and stretched himself out on my bed, kicking his black Nike sneakers off onto the floor and groaning in pleasure. "Ahh, no, this is nice," he told me. "Cute room, by the way, very..."

"Childish? Surprised I like pink and purple, Grimes? I haven't exactly spent time redecorating since I was in eighth grade," I finished his sentence as he trailed off, marking an answer on my page at the same time.

"What did your mom mean, what are you canceling on Tuesdays and Fridays?" When I turned to look at him, Cole was fiddling with the plastic stars on my ceiling, tracing their patterns lazily.

"None of your beeswax," my answer was sharp and quick, he didn't need to know that.

"What reason would I have to tell anybody, Erichson?" Cole countered. "What do you go to physical therapy for, anyway? It's not like you do sports."

"Okay first, you don't know anything about me, except I'm better at math than you are," I pointed out. "Second, that is still none of your business. And third, I think it's time you get out of my room."

"Oookay..." Cole sat up on my bed and pushed himself off. He slipped back into his shoes and walked over to the door, pausing before he left. "So I'm aware I've overstayed my welcome here, but you're wrong on one thing. I know a lot about you. Like how stressed you actually are, how you use clubs and band to stay away from home, and that I used to be your best friend, but I pushed you away."

"And now I'm pushing you away, leave," I stood from my chair and physically pushed him out of my door, before slamming it in his face and locking it. Needless to say, I didn't finish my homework that day.

Guys, sorry this is short, but I promise I'm setting up for more!

I would really appreciate it if you voted and commented, thanks so much!!

Have a great day everybody!

-- Ivy :)