Canadian Currency

Canada's Money is in the following denominations:

Amount:  Image:                                                                                                Notes:

$100 bill  Robert Borden, Canada's Prime minister during WW1 (Rumoured to smell like maple)

$50 bill     William Lyon Mackenzie King, Prime minister during WW2

$20 bill     Queen Elizabeth the 2nd, who needs no introduction!

$10 bill     John A. Macdonald, First Prime minister of Canada        (Image of Viola Desmond found on newer $10 bills)

$5 Bill       Wilfred Laurier, First French-Canadian to lead Canada

$2 coin   Polar Bears (Goes by the name Toonie and the 2017 Canada 150 celebration collection edition toonies glow in the dark)

$1 coin  Loon (Hence the name Loonie)

25¢ coin Caribou (Referred to as Quarter)

10 ¢ coin The Bluenose ship, built-in 1921 and was a fishing boat before sinking on a coral reef off the coast of Hati in 1946. (Referred to as a dime)

5¢ coin   Beaver (Nickel)

1¢ coin   Maple Leaf (Penny, discontinued as of 2013)

There is also a $1000 bill which was discontinued in 2000, United States coins are common due to the country's proximity to the United States and all coins have the image of her majesty Queen Elizabeth the 2nd with some older ones still in circulation bearing the image of George the sixth. There is a Canadian 50 cent piece however it is rare due to them only being available directly from the Mint and we will continue this lesson in the next chapter.