XC

Part 90

It was a gloomy day, there must be a budding storm and Mithi hoped it wouldn't rain that much if it ever did. Lalo pa dahil white shoes ang suot niya ngayon.

She smiled as she inhaled the morning breeze. The only thing she likes about the gloomy days are the chilly mornings. Madalas kasi siyang maglakad papasok at pauwi sa school. Although she could hail a ride, she prefers to walk. Medyo malapit lang naman kasi ang school sa condo unit na tinutuluyan niya. Tipid na rin sa pamasahe kung maglalakad siya at isang pampalubag loob na rin doon ang kaunting exercise na nagagawa niya.

Kaso ayaw niya lang kapag masyadong maaraw at mainit dahil mabilis siyang pawisan. May kakapalan pa naman ang tela ng uniform nila.

Saktong pagkalagay niya ng earphones sa magkabilang tainga ay tumunog ang cellphone niya.

It was a message from Jiro greeting her a good morning and wishing her to have a nice day. Mithi couldn't help the smile forming on her lips. It has been lingering since yesterday and it wouldn't seem to disappear.

She typed her reply shortly, wishing him the same thing.

It doesn't help that her cheeks are turning warm along the process, too. She doesn't have the slightest idea when it began. But Mithi hopes she wouldn't be that obvious, especially in school premises. Nakakahiya naman kung bigla na lang din siyang pamumulahan ng pisngi dahil lang nandyan si Jiro.

The realizations she had last night hardly made her sleep. She kept looking at her phone, anticipating for his name to suddenly appear on the screen.

When it didn't, Mithi waited for the time to pass, for the morning to come faster.

Then there it was.

Ang simple lang naman ng message sa kanya ni Jiro. But somehow, it was enough to make her feel excited to start the day.

But not for him. It was rather a slow morning for Jiro. They were currently in the gym and he just taught his class the basics of cotillion. He divided them in groups for their practical exam next meeting.

He was trying to watch their routine but his mind was traveling elsewhere . . . to the woman wearing a navy cardigan on top of her white blouse, paired with white jeans and white flats, with her wavy hair flowing down to her shoulders, and lips painted in dusty rose located at the fourth floor, last classroom to left near the fire exit who's currently teaching her class about period and phase shifts of a sine wave.

Napasinghal si Jiro. He blew his whistle and everyone suddenly stopped whatever they were doing. Napalingon din silang lahat kay Jiro.

"Class president," sabi niya.

Jaira, the president of the class, hurried when she was called.

"Yes, Sir?" tanong niya kay Jiro.

He instructed her to take charge. Na five minutes before the bell ay dapat nakabalik na sila sa classroom at naisauli na rin ang speakers na hiniram sa AV center.

"Pabigay na lang 'to sa class beadle ninyo. Napirmahan ko na 'yan." Abot niya sa maliit na folder kung saan nakalagay ang beadle slips.

"Okay, Sir."

Napasilip si Jiro sa suot na smart watch habang naglalakad palabas ng gym. There's fifteen minutes left before the bell rings, and fifteen minutes left for him ask her if they could eat lunch together.

He could go straight to the faculty room for his phone, plus, it's nearer. Nasa second floor lang.

But his feet seems to have a mind of its own. He just found himself climbing the stairs to the fourth floor.  

There were chatters around the classroom. Mithi just gave her class a one-item seatwork that's answered in pairs. Wala lang naman sa kanya ang ingay ng mga estudyante niya dahil nag-uusap lang din sila kung paano sasagutan ang binigay ang seatwork na binigay ni Mithi.

"Favorite teacher, kasama na sa given 'tong period 'no? Wala na kaming period na hahanapin ulit?" Jalil asked.

Bahagya namang natawa si Mithi. Palagi siyang natatawa kapag 'yon ang tawag sa kanya ni Jalil. It's not only Jalil though. Kasama rin doon ang mga kaibigan niya.

"Yes, Jalil. Given na 'yong period so no need to solve for it."

"Okay, okay. Thank you po!"

Mithi nodded. Napahalukipkip saka sinandal ang likod sa upuan. Saglit niyang sinilip ang oras sa wall clock nila sa loob ng classroom nang may maaninagan siya sa pinto. The silhouette of the man who kept on pacing on the hallway was familiar. Kabisadong-kabisado niya ang tangkad ni Jiro. She could even tell it's him just by the way he walks.

Pero nawala rin naman agad si Jiro kaya napasandal na lang ulit si Mithi sa upuan niya.

But a few seconds later, he was lingering by the glass door of her classroom again and Mithi was able to caught a glimpse of his figure.

Nahalata naman ni Jalil na napapasilip ang adviser nila sa may pinto kaya napalingon din siya doon. Saka niya rin napansin ang kuya niya na padaaan-daan sa classroom nila.

A glint appeared in his eyes. Ano na naman ba 'tong pinaggagawa ni Kuya? Hindi pa kasi tanungin e, isip-isip niya.

On the other side of the door was Jiro who couldn't seem to think straight. Hindi siya mapakali at kanina pa siya pabalik-balik sa classroom nila Mithi.

Okay lang naman kung aayain ko siya 'di ba? O hindi? Kumain naman na kaming magkasabay dati kaya okay lang siguro? But will she mistake it for something else? Pero may something else naman na talaga?

Napailing-iling siya dahil sa naiisip.

"Jiro?"

Napahinto si Jiro sa paglalakad saka napalingon sa tumawag.

It was her, standing by the door along the dim hallway with the streaks of the sun peaking through the narrow glass from the windowpane. Then there was a faint smile painted on her lips.

He drew in a breath. The seconds stilled and his mind, frozen.

Bumukas ang pinto sa classroom nila Mithi at lumabas naman si Jalil dala ang restroom pass.

"Miss Mithi, CR lang ako ha?" paalam niya.

"Okay."

Hindi mawala ang ngisi sa labi ni Jalil habang naglalakad palapit sa kuya niyang kanina pa natutuliro.

He bumped his arm using the restroom pass before whispering, "Ayain mo na," to his brother.

She couldn't tell if something was wrong with him or if there's an important meeting they needed to attend to.

But when she approached Jiro, the first thing she noticed were the blush on his cheeks and the glimmer in his eyes.