eleven

"What the hell do you want, Winter?"

The caramel eyed girl took a deep breath and stood still as the brown eyed girl stared at her. She deserved this.

After outing Karina, Winter had received a lot of soul eating stares from the other girl's group of friends. But never from Karina. Karina had always resolved to keeping her head down and avoiding the girl. But apparently things could change, too.

She had just gotten into the library during their free period, disappointed to see that she didn't recognize anyone in the small room. Wandering aimlessly over to the line of couches against the wall, her eyes landed on the familiar dark haired girl. Karina.

Before she had time to stop herself, Winter hurried over to the couch, tossing her backpack down and sitting down on the opposite end from Karina. She just craved to be close to the girl. But she knew she couldn't blame Karina for hating her.

Obviously, her abrupt intrusion had caught Karina's attention. And now, here they were.

"I don't want anything," Winter said quickly, shaking her head. "I was just trying to study..." she held up her backpack and took a deep breath. This had been a bad idea.

"There's plenty of couches," Karina spat, standing up and motioning around the room. "I bet you wouldn't want to be caught sitting next to a dyke," she said, laughing bitterly.

"I-I didn't-" Winter swallowed hard and quickly stood up so her height matched Karina's. The older girl saw this as a threat, though, and took a step forward. Winter held her breath.

"I don't care, Winter," Karina shook her head. "You're a pretty fucked up person, did you know that?"

Winter just stood still. She knew Karina was physically more powerful than her, and if the older girl did attempt to beat her up, it would be successful.

As much as she wanted to hate Karina for saying these things to her, she knew it was an appropriate reaction to what she had done to her. She'd practically outed Karina in front of the whole school. Not that it had been her choice, but Karina wasn't aware of that.

"Rina?"

Winter jumped when another voice appeared from behind Karina. Giselle jogged up next to her friend and sent Winter a questioning glare.

"I really didn't-," Winter started, wanting to prove her point. She wasn't exactly sure what she was going to say, but she didn't have the time to think, either. The moment she stepped forwards, Giselle moved in between the two girls and collided her fist with Winter's nose.

"Don't you dare go near her again," Giselle growled.

Inhaling sharply, Winter quickly fell to her knees and cupped her nose as Giselle and Karina disappeared out of the room. When the initial pain subsided, she slowly drew her hand away from her face and grimaced when she felt the dark red liquid running from her nose.

She looked around the room for help with pleading eyes, but everyone simply ignored her. She deserved this. Winter squeezed her eyes shut and held back her tears before slowly staggering to her feet and disappearing into the bathroom.

Winter's eyes shot open and she inhaled sharply, stumbling backwards off the bed. She brought her hands up to her nose, swearing that she could still feel the throbbing from her memory.

In a state of confusion, she wiped her eyes and looked around the room. It took her a few moments to come back to reality, realizing where she was.

"What's wrong?" Karina shot up from her spot on the bed, noticing the immediate change in Winter's disposition. She moved forward to grab Winter's hand, but grew confused when the smaller girl practically flew backwards out of her reach.