fourteen

"Come, Ji," Winter whined, holding out her hand and trying to pull Karina into the bathroom. The dark haired girl just bit her lip and stood her ground.

"You need to shower," Karina pulled her hand back and shook her head. "I'll be across the hall when you're done."

Winter stuck out her bottom lip and shook her head, which caused small tufts of flour to fall to the floor around her feet. Karina looked down at her own hands, which were practically ghost white from the white powder.

"You are messy too," Winter said softly, reaching out and grabbing Karina's hand once more. "Please?" She looked up hopefully, meeting Karina's eyes.

"Winter, I-," Karina began, but lost her words when Winter stepped forwards and tugged at the hem of her shirt.

"It's just a shower," Winter shook her head and curled the ends of Karina's shirt around her fingers. "You need to be clean," she said quietly. Looking at the older girl for approval, Winter slowly began to lift Karina's shirt upwards. "I love you. Do not be scared."

Feeling her breath catch in her throat, Karina found herself growing nervous. Nervous? Nervous for what? She internally cursed herself. It was Winter. She shouldn't be this scared to be so... exposed.

With a deep breath, she took a sidestep into the bathroom and closed the door behind them. Winter took this as a sign to continue, and she lifted up Karina's shirt. The dark haired girl brought her arms above her head and allowed Winter to remove the material from her torso.

It was silent for a few moments as Winter traced her eyes over Karina's figure, familiarizing herself with the newly exposed skin. Karina held her breath.

"Pretty," Winter mumbled, giving Karina a shy smile before reaching up to run her fingers through the girl's hair.

Karina exhaled slowly, beginning to calm down. This was Winter. She had already exposed herself to the girl emotionally. This was just the next step, as innocent as it could get.

"Here," Karina whispered, gently rolling up the bottom of Winter's hoodie. "Is this okay?" She asked nervously before biting her lip. Looking up at the smaller girl, she tugged gently on the material.

"Yes," Winter giggled softly, sensing Karina's anxiety. She lifted her arms as Karina pulled the heavy material over her head and let it fall to the floor. Once her torso was exposed, Winter turned around and ran her hands over her collarbone.

"I am clean," Winter said softly, studying herself in the mirror. She trailed her fingers over her own shoulder, almost as if she were in awe by her own skin. Karina grew confused.

"I thought the point of a shower was to get clean," Karina laughed nervously, unsure what Winter meant. The smaller girl just shook her head, grabbing Karina's hand and placing it where her shoulder met her collarbone.

"Not like that," Winter shook her head softly. "My skin. There are no bruises. I am not hurt," she slowly moved Karina's hand over to her shoulder.

The brown eyed girl studied Winter's skin for a moment before nodding softly. She was filled with a mix of adoration and anger. Anger that someone would have ever hurt Winter in the first place.

"And I intent on making sure you stay this way," Karina said softly after a few moments of silence. She brought both of her hands up and ran them down Winter's arms, lacing their fingers together. "You're safe now. No one's gonna lay a hand on you."

Winter's lips pursed together slowly, as if she were deep in thought. Karina ran her thumb over the back of the smaller girl's hand in an attempt to comfort her.