thirty

Both girls sat there in silence for a while, feeling so many different emotions at once. Winter eventually lifted her head and squeezed Karina's hand. They met eyes for a few moments and Winter gave her a soft nod, letting her know that she was ready to leave.

Karina stood up before helping Winter to her feet. There was a comfortable silence between them. They were both in a state of knowing. The girls were close enough that words weren't necessary. They just knew. Neither of them had ever experienced that with someone.

Winter leaned her head against Karina's shoulder as they made their way back through the gym and around the front of the school. The drive home was silent. It was at this point that Karina began to wonder when Winter would say something. She wanted to know what she was thinking.

The house was busy when they made it back home. Karina tugged on Winter's hand, trying to lead her upstairs before anyone figured out that they were back. Unfortunately, they were interrupted by small footsteps coming down the stairs.

Chae tilted her head to the side when she saw the two girls. She could immediately tell something was wrong.

"Why are you sad?" the small blonde hopped down the last two steps and tugged gently on Winter's sleeve to get her to look down. "What's wrong, Winttter?"

Karina opened her mouth to stop Chae, but Winter beat her to it.

"I hurt Ji," Winter whispered, shaking her head. Karina raised an eyebrow, but before anyone could respond; Karina heard her father's voice echo through the house.

"Rina? Are you home? I need your help with something!"

The brown eyed girl glanced at Winter, but her girlfriend surprisingly nodded for her to go.

"Are you sure?" Karina whispered. Winter just nodded. Karina bit her lip hesitantly, but jogged to the other side of the house to see what her father had needed.

Chae tugged on Winter's sleeve once more to get her attention. "I always talk to Eomma when I'm sad and she helps me. Come on," Chae pulled Winter in the direction of the stairs.

Winter bit her lip, allowing the small girl to lead her upstairs and into the master bedroom.

"Eomma, Winttter is sad," Chae pouted, letting go of Winter's hand and crawling onto the bed where Karina's mother sat with a book in her hands. The woman looked up when Chae grabbed her hand.

"What?" Sunmi glanced up at Winter, who was standing shyly in the doorway with her head hung down to the floor.

"She said she hurt Karina," Chae whispered. The woman raised an eyebrow and turned to her daughter.

"Can you help Eunbi get dinner started? This is a big kid conversation," Sunmi gave Chae a soft smile. The small girl nodded, hopping off of the bed and slipping past Winter, out of the room.

"Come sit," Sunmi addressed the younger caramel eyed girl, patting the edge of the bed. Winter looked up slowly. She wasn't sure if Sunmi was being serious or not. Hesitantly, the smaller girl padded over to the bed and sat down slowly.

"I'm not mad at you, Winter," the woman laughed softly, urging Winter to scoot closer.

"I hurt her," Winter whispered. She shook her head and looked down. She didn't like knowing that she once had a negative affect on Karina. She only wanted to do nice things for the girl.

"You did," Sunmi nodded. "At one point, you did hurt her. You can't change that." Winter swallowed hard and looked away.

"And you know... for a long time I was angry. I'm always protective over my children. Any good mother is, right?" the woman continued. Winter nodded slowly.