thirty five

Karina woke up the next morning slightly confused when she didn't feel the warmth of her girlfriend pressed into her side. Her eyes fluttered open and she immediately saw the small figure across the room, slumped down against the wall.

She slowly sat up, wiping her eyes and furrowing her eyebrows in confusion. Winter was fast asleep, the journal sprawled out open beside her. Her head hung down, causing her dark hair to cascade over her face. She looked adorable, but Karina was distracted by the fact that Winter wasn't asleep in bed.

"Jeong?" Karina whispered, rolling off of the bed and kneeling next to the girl. "Wintttter," she hummed softly, cupping the girl's cheeks and brushing her hair out of her face. Soft caramel eyes fluttered open and met hers, confusion flickering across her features.

"I fell asleep?" Winter's voice was raspy. Karina raised an eyebrow, nodding softly. Winter instantly frowned, sitting up and searching the floor for the journal.

"Why were you over here?" Karina asked, watching as Winter retrieved the journal and held onto it tightly. The small girl's face froze upon hearing Karina's question, and she bit her lip nervously.

"I..." Winter paused, cupping her hands over her mouth and yawning. "I did not want to sleep. I am tired of the nightmares."

Karina bit her lip and sighed, giving her girlfriend a sympathetic nod. "You need sleep, Jeongie," she laughed nervously, standing up and bending down. Winter giggled softly when Karina picked her up, carrying her over to the bed.

"Just get some rest, yeah? I have some stuff to do and then we're gonna go out," Karina explained, handing Winter a blanket. The small girl looked at her curiously, but managed to give her a soft nod.

"I love you," Karina whispered, bending down and kissing Winter's forehead. "I'll be right downstairs."

Winter curled up under the blankets, listening as Karina's footsteps disappeared out of the room. Meanwhile, the brown eyed girl made her way downstairs and into the kitchen.

About an hour later, Karina wiped her hands off and set the last of the food into her picnic basket. Just as she did so, small footsteps could be heard coming down the stairs. Winter tugged on her beanie, peering into the kitchen and smiling when she saw Karina.

"What is this?" Winter asked softly, padding over to Karina's side and and peering into the basket. She furrowed her eyebrows and looked up at her girlfriend. "What is this for?"

"I figured we'd pack a lunch," Karina shrugged. "Is that okay?"

Winter nodded quickly. "I like food," she giggled. "Where are we going?"

Karina pursed her lips and thought for a moment, wanting to explain it as best as she could. "We're going to... visit... some people that you should know pretty well," Karina nodded softly. Winter raised an eyebrow, but didn't question her further.

"C'mon, babe," Karina laughed, pointing out Winter's shoes to the smaller girl. Winter tugged them on, looking up at Karina and laughing softly when the girl bent down to help her tie her laces.

Winter had plenty of questions as they drove. Karina tried her best to avoid them, attempting to distract Winter with the radio. Eventually, they arrived at the small park. Winter raised an eyebrow in confusion, but followed Karina as the girl retrieved their food and led her over to a sunny patch of grass.

"This isn't it," Karina laughed softly, noting Winter's confusion. "We're just gonna eat here, and then walk the rest of the way."

Karina laid out the blanket they had brought with them and set the basket down, to which Winter eagerly sat down and dug into the basket. By the time Karina had sat down, Winter had already taken a bite out of her sandwich. Karina couldn't help but laugh when the small girl's face contorted in disgust.