Five - Lorenzo

Chapter Five

Lorenzo

Matteo looked like shit. There was no polite way to put it, he was black and blue and beaten all to hell and he looked like shit. Not the usual chipper, cocky son-of-a-bitch I knew he was under all of those cuts, but worn-down defeated and empty.

But he was standing. And that was a start.

"God, that's a face I haven't had the misfortune of seeing in years," his deep, jovial voice rumbles toward me and Nadia as we enter his room.

"Good to see you too, you old bastard," I jab back, folding my arms across my chest when we come to a halt a few feet away from him. "You look like shit."   

He attempts to smile, but it comes across as more of a grimace through all the swelling. "You do too, you little fucker." A ripple of laughter passes between us both as I reach over to take his hand in mine and shake it firmly. "My family?" He presses, a nervous frown pulling his brows down. "No one has told me anything since I woke."

"Safe, for now," I nod to him, letting my face relax into a gentle smile, "but I have no doubt they will be anxious to see you."

His brow scrunches further. "Will they be able to?"

"We can arrange something," I promise him with a nod of my head. It's a small action, but it seems to make all the world of difference knocking Matteo back to the edge of his bed with a strong exhale.

Nadia shifts behind me, clearly uncomfortable to be in the middle of our conversation, and I move ever so slightly to let her beside me. There was something in her stance that had me checking the room over. I couldn't see any immediate threat but I trusted my girl and her instincts.

I should have realised this meeting wouldn't go as smoothly as I would have liked. Matteo's eyes dart past me and to the glowering assassin behind me and I have to hold back my smirk. Ever calculating how she needs to be perceived by people, ever-shifting and changing to suit.

"I don't believe I know you," Matteo says, tilting his head inquisitively, inviting her to answer his unspoken question.

"No," she responds sharply, more Reaper than Nadia, "I don't believe you do."

I place my hand gently on the curve of her back, feeling her press into my palm. "Matteo Colombo, Nadia Regarzza," I introduced them both, letting Nadia decide how she wanted to be perceived by him. We would discuss her need to be feared later, for now, I would let her do whatever she needs to get through the day.

A flash of recognition shoots over Matteo's face. "The famed Reaper," he mutters in impressed awe. "I'm impressed, Leo," he smirks at me, "Didn't think you'd have the balls to deal with the Devils."

I scowl at him, unimpressed. My little devil however seems to enjoy his dig at me.

"He doesn't," Nadia chirps back, patting me on the shoulder as I shoot her the dirtiest glare I can manage whilst holding back a smirk. She sees and chuckles lightly in return. Oh she was going to pay for that.

"I hate to be the one to break up a reunion," Giovani cuts in, entering the room behind us, "And I'm very aware you are still recovering, Mr Colombo," he nods respectfully to the beaten man before us, "but we need any and all information you have on the Russians as soon as possible."

My second in command moves to stand beside Nadia, facing Matteo, blocking him in without making him feel crowded in a move we curated effortlessly between the two of us.