Miserable Materialki

In my opinion, this is where the story starts to get interesting...mainly because my favorite Darkles get to make more appearances but still.

༶•┈┈ ♛ ┈┈•༶

Aleeza's time at the Little Palace was better than she expected. She wished she arrived earlier, at least at first. The woman, Bagrah, had pronounced her a Fabricator. Aleeza was initially very confused and still was.

She was given a purple Kefta and put with a bunch of kids. Baghra had asked for her age, but Baghra snorted and told Aleeza her new age, which was younger. Aleeza didn't complain-her face and height were enough for anyone to believe she was 12.

Being 12 meant that she wasn't that old to first be arriving. Most kids came between 6 and 8, but it was common for kids to arrive much earlier or later. Pretending to be 12 made her fit in much better than if she were 18.

She met everyone and became friends quickly with the Fabricators. She even made friends with some who weren't Fabricators. Although she quickly learned that people liked to stay within their Grisha orders.

The first year she didn't worry too much about her lack of progress, especially being a Fabricator. It was easy to pass off a failed project or not show someone your work. She did excel in jewelry, but it didn't help. She still wasn't allowed to move on to advanced studies.

Instead, she was stuck with the kids while her friends moved on and actually were doing things.

She felt Baghra was hiding something from her. Whenever she tried to confront the woman, she regarded her as an idiot child who didn't know left from right. She refused to even believe the fact she could turn invisible.

Aleeza had even questioned her sanity at Baghra being so persistent. But she knew she could turn invisible and do other stuff. Of course, she did her research in the kiddy library first, turning up empty-handed, unfortunately.

So she decided to sneak into the grown-up section of the Grisha Palace; during the dead of night, looking for answers. Instead, all she found was herself staring at the Darkling.

The Darkling was also trying to find answers but was getting bored when a curious sight walked through the door. A girl that looked around fifteen sneakily opened the door and set her lantern down on a nearby shelf as she slowly closed the door with both hands to avoid a sound.

She was wearing fabricator robes with a black blanket wrapped around her like a cape, part of a bad disguise. She turned around and froze when she saw who was about ready to burst out laughing in the middle of the room.

The Darkling didn't care what she thought of him. Besides, his laugh was sometimes scarier than his scorn. He never made up the rule that the children couldn't visit the main library, but he never thought to reiterate this point to anyone. Fabricators, he thought to himself, always a thirst for knowledge.

Aleeza quickly took off her stupid disguise, worried the Darkling might take offense to the color black, and tried to explain herself "I was just leaving-"

The Darkling was amused. "What do you think you're doing?" He asked threateningly. It was funny to watch her try to gather her words.

"I-I was just hoping to find a book on something relating to Fabricator powers-abilities," she trailed off.

While unintentional, The Darkling enjoyed the superiority of the main library. It made the Grisha feel special to be studying there, meaning they did it more often.

"Couldn't wait a few years, hmmm..." he said, turning back to the book he had in his hand, scanning to see if it was the correct one.

"More like forever," she grumbled under her breath, in what she thought was quiet enough not to be heard. She was sick of all her friends mastering their abilities and learning more intense stuff.