Troublemaker

Oh boy, Aleeza thought as she was being walked back to the Little Palace. The short walk felt like an eternity. She wasn't even surprised when she saw Ivan and his men leading her up to The Darkling.

The Darkling was lounging in a chair, his eyes as dark as his Ebony hair. Ivan announced himself, and The Darkling stood up, ready to deal with the situation. Aleeza was terrified. She had every right to be when standing in front of The Darkling about to be disciplined.

"Our miserable failure of a Materialki," he said, moving closer. "At least now I completed the mystery of the Grisha at the Winter Fete..." his face devoid of all emotions. He didn't recognize Aleeza at the library, but he sure did now. He still hadn't completely understood how a fabricator set fire to his Kefta, but he didn't trouble himself with it.

The Darkling was furious she was spending time parading herself around at court. He hatted the pathetic stupidity of the nobility and the fact that one of his own Grisha was there indulging herself...It made him enraged.

"I quit I-I am useless at being a Grisha, and I'm going to quit!" Aleeza blurted out.

"You can't quit at being Grisha, Aleeza," he said, annoyed with her.

Aleeza didn't know what he would do next, but it definitely wasn't that. "I'm promoting you. Start studying advanced subjects-just because you're utterly a disaster at fabricating doesn't mean you can't make yourself useful. Learn to speak Fjerdan, Shu..." he trailed off and paused. "Just. Do. Something." The last part sounding very much like a threat.

But Aleeza didn't care how the heck he said it. She was completely and utterly happy: this was her moment. If Aleeza knew she would get promoted for sneaking out, still unsure of how she got caught, she would have gotten caught again and again just to be promoted.

BOY WAS SHE GOING TO RUB IT IN BAGHRA'S FACE, but that didn't matter. She was free of the tiny kids who kept annoying her-she was free! She practically ran outside into the moonlight and ran to pack her things from her room. A few kids were in there, still helping themselves to a feast.

"Aleeza! You're glowing," one of them said, shocked.

"What happened?"

"I got promoted!" she practically screamed.

They were a little skeptical until they saw Aleeza pack their things. She looked around at them, suddenly feeling sad that this chapter was over.

"Don't worry guys, I'll still come and visit you, or maybe you guys can come visit me in my new room," she said, smiling as one of the smaller girls hugged her.

It was a good thing she liked kids, if she didn't she probably never would have survived these extra years here. But they were extra, and she was ready to move on.

༶•┈┈ ♛ ┈┈•༶

Aleeza POV:

It wasn't even a week later, and on my first day, I started a fire in the Materialiki room, causing pretty much every single fabricator to hate me. Especially those whose projects were compromised by the fire, which explained David's attitude towards me.

I tried to be helpful, but my patience was definitely growing thin everyone was passing me around multiple times a day. All with Ivan watching over it all. He wasn't too bad, except for the fact we always went back and forth at each other spewing insults. He definitely wasn't my favorite person to be around, but I managed.

I was just happy to finally eat in the main hall. I was surprised when I realized the Darkling never ate there. His chair just sat there-useless. I finally got to talk to all the Fabricators my age. Even though most of them were only interested in talking about their inventions, they were still nice and a huge step up from the children.