5

Leo's eyes burst open. Light crested the edges of the red satin curtains, casting an orange glow across the room.

A woman, wearing a spotless apron and frock, burst into the room. "Come on young master, the sun has been up for nearly an hour now," she said, flinging open the curtains. Leo groaned, pulling the sheets over his head to shield his eyes from the intense early morning sun.

"I was already awake Matilda; you didn't have to open them."

"Not awake enough Master Leo," Matilda said, walking over to the far side of the room and pulling some clothes out of a wardrobe. "Today you shall be representing your family," she held a dark red tunic embroidered in orange stitching to the light, "you will be expected to wear the Winthrope colours today." She set the clothes in a neat pile on a cabinet.

Leo had been peering out over the top of his covers, though the sight of the extravagant tunic made him want to disappear within and never surface. His mother's voice rang in his head, Winthrope's hold all the highest positions in the army, it would break tradition should you not achieve the same. The woman was clearly hinting at his eldest brother, the "Sun of Ferlandia". Leo groaned at how silly it sounded even in his head, despite knowing the true meaning behind the title. Apollo captained one of Ferlandia's elite squads at only five years Leo's senior. His sister, Raya, also captained a squad, and their father was the right-hand man of the king himself, the leader of his armies. As the latest family member to come of age, much was expected of him.

Leo turned his back to the servant as she buried her head in the wardrobe once more. He closed his eyes and concentrated. He felt a clump of energy surge within him, allowing it to flow from all over his body to his outstretched hand. Opening his eyes, he released that energy. He sighed at the frail flame caressing his palm, only a dim red hue surrounded the candle like flicker.

"Did you think something might have changed?" Matilda spoke with her back to Leo, continuing to prepare his outfit.

Leo's cheeks felt warm as they reddened, clasping his hand shut and snuffing out the flame. "Still nothing but a puff of smoke."

"It will come soon enough young master, your family are the strongest users of fire magic in the kingdom."

"Yes," Leo stared frustratedly at his hand, "we are."

"Come, your outfit is ready. And don't be long, your mother is waiting to see you off."

"Not father?" Leo's question was laced with doubt. Anselet Winthrope rarely visited the family manor; choosing to spend his time in the royal palace deliberating over battle maps and strategizing movements with the higher ups in the army. He had no time for family, though he still claimed family was the most important factor of his life. His brother and sister garnered his attention, though only in the form of praise during one of his public speeches or in the war room. Leo had no memories of his father ever praising him, though what was there to say to the runt of the family?

"Your father is defending the land from new attacks by the non-humans," Matilda reminded Leo what he already knew. Half his family were on the front lines, which is where Leo would need to be should he want any quality time with them.

"Thanks Matilda, you can go now," Leo shuffled to the edge of the spacious bed.

"Yes, young master," adopting the formal demeanour of a servant. As she exited the room, she looked over her shoulder, a kind smile present on her face. "Good luck Leo," she said before closing the double doors behind her.

Leo didn't hear. His eyes were staring dead ahead at the Winthrope crest emblazoned on a banner in his room.

Leo descended the main staircase into the lobby. The entry room to Winthrope Manor was as intimidating as it was impressive. Huge portraits of past family members lined the walls from floor to ceiling, including his father's. They stared at Leo scornfully, as if disappointed by his fire magic, too weak to carry on the family name. There were flowing orange banners encompassing the portraits, detailed with fire breathing dragons. Although only a myth, the dragon is believed to be the most powerful wielder of fire magic in all of Theirra. Hence why the Winthrope's claimed them as their family symbol.