11

The next few months flashed by quicker than the first. It was a breeze for Lukas, no day harder than the first or the bloodworm incident. Aside from the normal routine, they underwent more out-of-camp exercises, some as long as a week. After each, the number of recruits would decline. Before long, there were fewer than twenty boys remaining, including the seven nobles.

One day, without warning, the remaining recruits were gathered in the hall, now only occupying the front three rows of benches.

"Congratulations on making it this far," Beavis was up on stage, enjoying the limelight once more, "we have never had such a larger number make it this far before, particularly this many from the masses. However, we will continue as planned for the last month of training, which will be solely to prepare you for what comes next."

The nobles began to chat amongst themselves excitedly. "Preparing for what you might ask?" Beavis looked directly at Lukas expectantly, knowing full well the boy didn't know. "Levi, would you be so kind as to tell those who don't know?"

"The Ascension Exam," Levi replied indifferently, almost inaudible amongst the enthusiastic murmurs of those surrounding him.

"That's right, we will be preparing you for the Ascension Exam," Beavis spread his arms out like a performer having just finished his act. "These exams will take place in the Sunshine Arena in Daybreak, which will be available to the public and more importantly, the squad captains," he raised his eyebrows mischievously, quietly pleased with his now silent audience. "You will be pit against one another to display your skills in the hope that you will be selected by one of the captains. It is our job," he gestured to the other instructors standing in a line behind him, "to ready you for this event."

"Now some of you," he looked pointedly at the nobles, "may have been present at Ascension Exams in the past, but the proceedings will unfold differently due to the larger numbers this year." The chatter amongst the nobles finally died down, replaced by a keen silence. "There will be a mystery elimination round before the main event, a knock-out style tournament," this time Beavis shouted ecstatically, like this was his own brilliant idea. "Keep in mind that, even if you are eliminated in the mystery round before the standard tournament begins, impress the right people and you may well secure your place amongst the elites. With that said, I wish you the very best of luck. I have great expectations for many of you," though his smile only seemed to reach as far as the nobles sitting in front of him.

"Did you hear that?" Lukas was chatting energetically as they exited the hall, "we made it to the final group."

"I was listening," Ellis replied.

"I mean, it wasn't too hard," Lukas continued, unfazed by Ellis' lack of enthusiasm, "at one point I feared I might die of boredom, but then I met you, and became so entertained by your wit and humour. You could say I have you to thank for making it to the end." Ellis grunted.

The pair passed by Leo, and Lukas could've sworn he saw a fiery excitement in his eyes. The lone noble had barely interacted with them since the bloodworm incident, only acknowledging each other when circumstance deemed it impossible to avoid. Upon stumbling into each other, which happened more frequently as the number of recruits diminished, their exchanges would only go as far as glaring eyes and arched eyebrows. Lukas was wishing for an excuse to challenge him, an excuse he bet would come about in the Ascension Exams, and in front of a huge audience.

Fitness training was abolished as preparation for the exams began. Combat drills were now performed all day long and to a much higher degree of intensity. The bouts required a much greater deal of focus on Lukas' part, as only the capable remained. It was common knowledge that Lukas and Ellis were the strongest fighters amongst the commoners, so many took it upon themselves to defeat them.