6

Lukas came to, opening his eyes slowly, allowing light to enter gradually. He was lying on one of many small rickety beds pushed haphazardly to the side of a small, narrow room. Alongside him, a chair had been pulled up, occupied by a young man, not much older than Lukas, in a surgical apron.

"Lukas Musgrave?"

Lukas grunted in response; his lips too dry to muster any words.

"My name is Doctor Pearson, I have been looking after you for the last three days. You were brought to me," he looked down at a long list on a clipboard, "well, for all sorts of things. The most immediate problems were exhaustion and lack of sustenance."

Lukas wasn't interested; instead trying to sit himself up, only to find he lacked the strength. "Where am I?"

"You are in the infirmary of Fort Aspen." Pearson looked up, aware his words were falling on deaf ears. He turned to the door behind him and called out: "Let Commander Beavis know the boy is awake and ready to join the others."

There was a muffled reply from the other side of the door followed by retreating footsteps.

"I'd stay lying down if I were you," the doctor advised as Lukas tried to sit up again. "You won't be getting much rest after this."

Before Lukas could ask why, the answer to that question shoved the door violently.

"Has my laziest recruit woken up?" The penetrating voice of the heavy-set man drilled into Lukas' skull, giving him a headache.

"Commander," the doctor nodded respectfully, "he needs more rest tonight, but he should be ready for training by tomorrow."

"More rest?" Beavis' thunderous voice was matched by his broad physique, filling the entire perimeter of the door frame. "This boy has had enough rest; he's going straight to the training yard with the rest of them. Up now, boy."

It took a moment for Lukas to steady himself, much to the annoyance of the impatient Commander; who, ignoring Pearson's guidance, chivvied on the struggling boy. "If he is not strong enough to walk, he is not strong enough to fight for our King."

Pearson could only sigh, muttering about crushing Lukas' chances at completing training before he had even started.

A now pleased Commander led Lukas out of the infirmary, which he could see was a small hut. They had left the crowded streets of Ferlandia and were in what looked like a small fort within a forest. Lukas' memory of the capital was short-lived and obscured. Blurry images of giant walls and bridges; bustling streets, even busier than Ormwell; and rows upon rows of houses cramped into small spaces. It must have been pure instinct and a large portion of luck that guided him to the right place in time for roll call.

It was only then that he remembered.

"Sir – Commander!" Lukas spluttered over his words, fearful of bringing up the subject. "What happened about Jaspar Grey?"

Beavis turned to him, taken aback by the directness. "The boy who wasn't present at conscription?"

Lukas nodded, his heart racing with adrenaline, almost overwhelming the soreness and fatigue from his journey. He needed to hear the truth but dreaded what it may be.

Beavis carried on walking nonchalantly, forcing Lukas to follow. "We followed protocol and dispatched a squadron of soldiers to his village."

Lukas' heart dropped; despair took a hold of him. He impulsively grabbed at the Commander's armour from behind and cried out in anguish.

Beavis was momentarily stunned but quickly shook Lukas off and threw him to the ground. "Get a hold of yourself boy! I have half a mind to execute on the spot for attacking a superior officer."