8

Tobias breathed in the cool air. He enjoyed the feeling of life and freshness it brought to his ageing lungs. Signs of spring were emerging; the patchwork fields surrounding the small grouping of buildings that made up Rosehallow were beginning to bud. He smiled to himself as he recalled the annual village meeting wherein the children were warned that to trample in the fields was to fall punishment to a hiding.

This particular morning, there was a heavy fog, obscuring Tobias' view of the solitary path exiting the village. It was dawn, the village was quiet. The early risers were yet to awaken to begin their chores. Tobias' company, made up of a few cows and a vast number of chickens, waited patiently for the signs of the villagers stirring awake.

It had been two weeks since the young boys had left Rosehallow and a week since conscription was called. Every day since, Tobias found himself watching the path by which they had left. He had faith in Lukas, the boy was determined and resilient. Even with a natural ability in swordplay, he would push himself harder each day to attain his mentor's high expectations. Tobias had taught him everything he could, but he worried it wouldn't be enough given how different the outside world is.

Then there was Jaspar. His family had grieved every day since his departure, his little sisters were too young to understand what was happening yet cried nonetheless with their mother.

Tobias had included Jaspar in some of the training as he does with all the young boys and girls of the village when they reach a certain age. But, as with most, he didn't realise the importance of the teaching until it was too late.

Despite his doubts, Tobias still believed in his heart that they would make it to the Capital on time, as the road there was relatively safe. Guarding the path each morning put his mind at ease.

The din of clucking rose as the chickens sensed movement, excited for their morning feeding time. The village cows emerged from their shelter and ambled over to their feeding troughs.

Tobias frowned. It was still too early for any villagers to wake. He closed his eyes and focused on his hearing, trying to block out the noisy farm animals.

A great sadness washed over him as he heard what had triggered the chicken's reaction – the distant beating of hooves. Tobias' shoulders dropped as his mind raced with the implications of what this meant. One or both boys hadn't turned up to conscription.

There was time to worry about that later. For now, he had a duty to protect the civilians of Rosehallow, many of whom would perish without a full crop yield this year.

The sound of galloping horses drew nearer, accompanied by the shouts of men egging each other on as they charged towards a poor farming village. Only this village wasn't defenceless.

Tobias took in one last breath of the crisp morning air before it was tarnished by the smoke from the torches of the soldiers. He shrugged his robe off his shoulders, revealing his old officer uniform underneath. An array of medals on his breast glinted in the bright sunrise of dawn. He raised a single hand in a claw as the first of the riders broke through the tree line. A red glow began to emanate from his palm.

Lukas fell into a regime in the first month of basic training; fitness, fighting and lessons. The days were generally without incident and passed by in a blur. Other than the sins of magic and the lineage of the royal family, Lukas learned nothing for an entire month. His only excitement came from his duels with Ellis. It took a good few days to recuperate, following his ordeal to the Capital, but Lukas soon found he could fight to his full potential. He was frustrated at being bested and even with his body fully recovered, he had to put his all into every duel to stay level with his opponent. He couldn't tell if Ellis was ever struggling, the boy's cold demeanour never out of place. The ferocious duelling did not go unnoticed. The pair often attracted the attention of others nearby, who attempted to imitate the moves or simply watch in awe. Even the instructors caught themselves becoming entranced by the flurry of attacks between the two boys. Soon after, the others began to readily ask for tips and advice, of which Lukas was happy to give out. Even the nobles could be seen to show a sliver of interest, though they could afford nothing more than a second of their attention for fear of seeming too impressed. They continued to disappear after combat drills each day, only to return the next morning without any indication as to how they were spending the time.