14~

"The second runner-up of the 22nd contest of home of recipe is" the Kenyan male judge said looking up from the plain white sheet of paper he was holding, the three contestant including Nadia who remained from the last stage anxiously awaited whose name would be called, "Aslam Isham from Algeria" he said causing an uproar from the crowd, the third position was given a bronze medal and rose flower before she was asked to stand on the elevated stage,

"the first runner-up is" Another judge said looking between the two remaining contestant who had their eyes shut tightly, "Nadia Suleiman from Nigeria" the crowd screamed and applauded loudly. when the uproar died down a little, "making Priyanka khan from India the winner of this contest" he said causing another wave of screams and praises.

Nadia smiled as she hugged the winner, she ambulated towards the stage to collect her silver medal and rose flower, though Nadia really wanted to emerge the winner, she was still very contented with the second position she ended up with, she lived by the saying that no matter the little someone had, contentment was the most important because if you aren't contented, even if you have the whole world in your palm, it still won't be enough. The winners smiled widely on the stage as the crowd clapped loudly for them.

****

"Congratulations" Abdallah said giving Nadia a one-sided hug when they met outside the building,

"thank you" she said sniffing the red bulky rose flower she held in her hands,

"you're welcome" he smiled at her holding her hands before they walked to the car.

Abdallah drove Nadia to a nearby ice cream stall to celebrate her victory, they alighted from the car and walked towards the stall, they were few small multi coloured canopies arranged in front of the stall with two chairs under each canopy.

Abdallah drew one of the fancy green iron chair for Nadia to seat on, so he could go get the ice cream from inside the stall,

"I'll be back now, what flavour should I get you?" he asked looking deep into her big eyes with a small smile playing on his lips, he placed his two hands on an arm of the chair she was seating on enjoying the proximity,

"uhhm" she squinted her eyes and placed her index finger vertically on the side of her head "I'm having a hard time choosing between strawberry and vanilla" she whined,

"I'll just get you the two then" he said amused by her action, he pulled his hands from the side of the chair before placing it into his trouser pockets,

"thank you" she pouted watching him as he went inside the stall.

****

Nadia checked the thin strap silver wristwatch she was wearing on her left hand, it has been 15 minutes already and Abdallah still isn't back, she wondered why it was taking him that long. She adjusted her plain beige veil properly on her head while she watched as people walked around chattering and smiling with their loved ones, she will surely miss this place when she returns to Nigeria.

Another 5 minutes passed, Abdallah still isn't back, Nadia was about to check for him inside the stall when something caught her eyes. That face, she has seen it before, she can't be mistaken, that was him she was so sure it was him, the man who saved her in the train attack.

He was standing across her making a phone call, he started walking as soon as he finished with the call placing the phone in his pocket, she knew she had to do something, she needed answers to her questions, he told her someone close to her sent him, she needed to know who it was.

She quickly put on her brown flat shoe which was loosely hanging on her feet, so she could follow him as he was walking fast, she followed him behind totally forgetting about Abdallah who she was anticipating his arrival. He was some metres away from her, she fastened her pace slightly raising her long dress. He took a turn to the left which she followed, the turn lead to a silent close end which was devoid of anybody, she reduced her pace when she saw him talking to someone, she wanted to see what was going on, but he was blocking her view with his bulky body.