22~

07/06/2022.

ABUJA, NIGERIA.

"Sorry ummi" Nadia muttered when Hajiya maryam grunted in pain. Nadia was applying methylated spirit on the wound Hajia Maryam gained from Alhaji Ahmad's assault.
"It'll hurt a little" Nadia said before dabbing the soaked cotton wool on the scratch close to her eyes. Hajia Maryam pressed her lips together to suppress the sensational pain she felt burning through her.
"It's all done now" Nadia uttered, she placed all the materials she used back into the first aid box before taking it back to the shelf.

"Sorry ma" Idris said from where he was seated opposite them, he was quiet throughout when Nadia was cleaning Hajia Maryam's wound because he felt angry. He imagined her being his mother, he sought refuge against shaytan to calm the burning rage that was growing in his heart. He believed only an animal would lay his hands on his woman,

"Nagode (thank you)" she smiled even though she was writhing in pain. Idris hated the fact that he had to question her at this moment, but he wanted to unravel the mystery behind the murder of his family, so he had no choice.

"Ma" Idris began, "I'm Nadia's elder brother, and I've been working towards bringing those behind my family's untimely death to justice, that's Suleiman Modibbo's family" he stood up from his seat pacing slowly in front of Hajia Maryam and Nadia, "all the evidences found pointed to only one person, and that's your son Abdallah" he muttered facing her directly like a trained prosecutor,

"my son is innocent, I promise you, my son didn't do anything, he's innocent" she cried loudly.

"Okay, I want to help your son, but you have to cooperate and answer any question I ask truthfully" Idris declared squatting in front of her. Nadia was quiet because she also wanted to know the truth.

"I'll answer, I'll answer" she replied dabbing the tears on her face with the red flowery head tie lying loosely on her head,

"okay good" Idris muttered breaking his knuckles, "your son mentioned that he didn't want to prove his innocence because you'll be hurt" he scrunched his brows before he continued "what's your relation with the case?".

The room became tensed with silence, Hajia Maryam moved her lips, but no audible words were coming out, "we are being blackmailed" she quavered, "it all started on that day, the day the incident happened, I've forgotten the exact date" Hajia Maryam stared blankly at the floor as she talked, "I was locked and tied up in a room by my husband like what happened today, I couldn't shout because my mouth was also tied up. I thought I'd die, my life started flashing before me, I felt consciousness sipping out of me. My eyes were almost closing when the locked door flew open, Abdallah came into the room with some scratches on his face, he untied me quickly. He supported my weight with his arms as he dragged me out of the room. We wanted to escape from his father that night. We hid under the table when we heard him making a call close to where we were, his words were 'the bomb has killed that bastard Suleiman modibbo'.
We didn't know how he spotted our hiding spot, it all happened in a flash, before we knew it, he was smirking at us evilly" tears trickled out of her eyes as she spoke, Nadia rubbed her back slowly to console her, "he dragged us out, I can remember how violently he slapped Abdallah on the face. He threatened that if any one of us confessed about what they heard, he'll kill the other. That's why we were quiet about it. He also threatened to kill us if we tried to escape again".

Everywhere was gloomy after Hajia Maryam's confession, Idris also felt a pang in his chest, he realized how wicked some souls are, "we have to arrest him" Nadia said agitated, she hugged hajia Maryam tightly, "how will we do that, will the police cooperate" Nadia asked again, she was apprehensive.