Chapter VII

As they entered the library, Sophie was immediately hit by the familiar smell of old books and the sound of rustling paper, enveloping her like a hug. The place was silent save for the sound of ancient computers humming and an air conditioning unit chugging away near the back of the building.

This building had been rather familiar to her as a child; it was a place of escape, providing her with relief from the thoughts of those at school and at home. Quiet and still, not many people bothered to come to the library, making it the perfect place to study undisturbed.

They ventured further inside, wandering aimlessly through the maze of books. Sophie stopped when they reached the junction between fiction and nonfiction.

"This seems like as good a place as any to start looking."

Keefe turned to Sophie. "How are we supposed to find the... what are we retrieving again?"

"He didn't tell us." Sophie sighed, running her hand through her hair.

"Figures."

"Well, the reason you came was because you're an empath. Can you... empath sense anything?"

"'Empath sense'?"

"You know what I meant."

Keefe huffed and closed his eyes. The silence that followed was broken only by the rusling of pages and the clack of ancient computer keyboards. Keefe remained stock still, eyes screwed tight and brows drawn, as though he was attempting to remember something very important.

Then he slightly tilted his head and absentmindedly pressed a hand to his chest.

"I feel something... it's not... recognisable. But it's emotional," he opened his eyes and looked at her, "It's not like your emotions, or any human emotion I've ever felt. I think... I think this is it."

Sophie followed him as he drifted through the shelves, hands brushing over the books. She slammed into the back of him as he drew up abruptly with a sharp intake of breath.

She stared at him, eyes wide. "What? What is it?"

He pulled a book off the shelf, turning it's cover upwards.

"The Care and Maintenance of Lawn Mowers," Sophie read aloud.

"What's a lawn mower?"

"It's... not important. Are you sure this is the right book?"

Keefe gazed steadily into her eyes. "I'm positive."

"Alright then, I trust you. We should get this back," she said, slipping the book into her satchel.

He grinned, any trace of seriousness gone. "Race you outside!"

"Wait! You can't run in here! This is a library... and he's gone," Sophie sighed the last part to herself, beginning to jog after him.

What an idiot, she thought fondly to herself, navigating swiftly through the shelves in an attempt to keep up. I wouldn't have him any other way.

Rounding the final corner, she barely made it one step before slamming straight into a robed figure bearing the symbol of a white eye on his sleeve.

.•°'°•..•°'°•..•°'°•..•°'°•.

The alley smelt of rotting vegetables and car exhaust, and it looked about a hundred times worse.

A small group of four Neverseen had found them, and Sophie had no idea how.

"Let go of me," Sophie yanked her arm in an attempt to free herself from her captor. He responded quickly and silently, striking her across the face. Sophie hissed in pain.