Chapter II

Sophie laid awake in her bed, staring at the ceiling.

What did they mean 'time for the Moonlark to be seen?' She knew she was the Moonlark. Were they sending her back to the Lost Cities? She hadn't seen the Lost Cities in three years. Her thoughts wandered to her old friends... and enemies. Dex, Keefe... Fitz...Biana. Edaline and Grady. Stina. She had left so many loose ends. How were Grady and Edaline now? Did they even miss her? Did the Vackers move on? We're they ever her friends in the first place? She had forgiven them a long time ago, and she hoped they didn't blame themselves for her disappearance. How was Dex? She had so many questions...

Sophie sighed and sat up, accepting the fact that sleep was not coming tonight. She glanced at the screen on her iPod (retrieved by Mr. Forkle).

4:53 AM

Not too bad, she had to get up in seven minutes anyway. She sighed and rolled out of bed. She walked across the room to her closet, to put on her Exillium uniform. Calla gently knocked on the door just as she was adjusting her mask. Sophie walked out of the door, surprising Calla, as she was usually the last one up.

"You're up early." Calls remarked .

"Couldn't sleep." Sophie replied with a yawn.

"I know that feeling." Tam said, walking up to the breakfast table.

Linh silently joined them with an irate expression on her sweet face. She was not a morning person, to say the least.

Sophie fiddled with her pins. She had four, more than anyone else at Exillium. It made her stand out, and it's not like she needed that. She hated attention.

"Well, time to go." said Tam, grabbing each of them a fruit.

Sophie nodded and they all took out their beads.

"See you all this afternoon." said Calla giving them a grim wave as they glittered away. Sophie wondered if she knew something bad was going to happen.

.•°'°•..•°'°•..•°'°•..•°'°•.

When they appeared at Exillium, Sophie grinned. The landscape was a dry meadow with a large lake in the center. They would probably be practicing breath holding, one of the things she was best at. A warm breeze swept through, rustling the dry grass. Sophie turned to Tam and Linh.

This is the nicest place we've been in a long time. she transmitted.

"Agreed" Tam shadow whispered.

Linh grunted. She didn't really talk until the sun was above the horizon.

The three headed to the Ambi tent, quietly taking seats next to each other. As much as friendship was discouraged, the coaches tolerated the three's relationship. They sat still as they waited for everyone to arrive. When all of the waywards were seated, the purple coach announced that they would be practicing breath holding. They silently got up and headed to the tent with the wetsuits. Before they got there, however, there was a loud squealing sound. Sophie turned to see four new waywards dangling upside down from the arch. Everyone gathered around, as it wasn't every day four new kids enrolled. They thrashed and struggled, trying to get free of their uncomfortable bonds. The coaches stepped forward.

"Welcome to your Dividing." the red coach shouted.

"You must find your way to freedom." her coach yelled.

"There is no right answer to the problem." the blue coach yelled, before continuing her script.

It was the same speech every time a new wayward arrived, and Tam, Linh, and Sophie could quote it. And they did. A lot. It drove Mr. Forkle crazy.