Chapter VI

Okay... So for those of you still reading this, yes I am still writing it!! Woo hoo, I know my update schedule is trash, but I have the plot of this story done, so just have to write it, and it's going to be a long boi...

I will probably start updating regularly on Sundays.

Anyways, I have questions for you, dear readers.

Opinions on ships?

Probably doing Dex x Fitz...

definitely doing Sokeefe...

but if you have any other suggestions please tell me!

But onwards to the story. 😁

.•°'°•..•°'°•..•°'°•..•°'°•..•°'°•.

The moment they materialized in a back alleyway, Keefe began to cough.

Sophie glanced at him in alarm. "What's wrong?"

"Sorry, it's just- what's wrong with the air?"

"The air?"

Sophie took a deep breath. The fires had been long extinguished, so the air didn't smell like burnt sugar. It just smelled like... a city. The city she had grown up in. Then, Sophie realized-

"It's human pollution. They don't have the ability to filter the air like we do."

"So, they just... live with it? That's terrible."

"Not really. I mean, yes, the pollution itself is terrible, but you get used to it."

"We could help them. We have the technology- why not share?"

"I don't know. The elves used to help the humans, didn't they?"

"Yeah, they did. Maybe... maybe we should do it again. There's no reason to hoard the resources we have."

Sophie smiled. "That's a good idea. We should ask Mr. Forkle about it when we get back. Speaking of Mr. Forkle, we need to find the thing."

"Oh yeah. Okay, so what does the note say?"

She opened the envelope and slid the note out.

You will find the item in the place

That has a million stories

But cannot tell them.

Find it in the place

Near the nesting of our kin.

"Um. What?" Keefe blinked in surprise.

Sophie sighed. "I know. Everything he does is like this, I swear. One time he left me a note that told me to do the laundry. Instead of 'I need you to do the laundry' it was a riddle that took me two days to figure out."

Keefe laughed. "That sounds like something he would do."

"I was so mad."

"Well, that at least means you have practice with riddles."

She nodded thoughtfully.

"Hm... 'the nesting of our kin.'"

"Kin? Like family? So, like, elves?"

"Yeah maybe. Or swans... oh! There's a neighborhood around here called 'Swan Canyon.' Whatever the first part of the riddle is... it might be near that!"