Ch. 4 Let's Play Ball!

Five minutes later, Katherine, Benny, and the rest of the boys arrived at the local sandlot. Benny lets go of Katherine's hand. He stares at the sandlot with excitement since he is enthusiastic about playing baseball with Katherine and her younger step-brother. 

" So, what do you think?" Benny asked. He turns to look at Katherine, expecting her answer. 

Katherine looked at her surroundings, finding the sandlot intriguing. 

" How long have you guys been playing baseball here?" Katherine asked. 

Benny and the boys looked at each other thoughtfully. 

" When did Benny and his family move here again?" Bertram asked. '

" I moved here when I was like ten. But, it was in December 1959," Benny remembered. 

" That's like five years ago!" Ham exclaimed while holding his hand in front of him. 

" Benny is about to be thirteen, you dunce!" Squints chastised. " So, it has almost been three years," He looks at Katherine. 

" That's cool. Okay, so who is going to be on my team?" Katherine asked, changing the subject. 

The boys, except Benny and Scotty, warily stared at one another since they didn't know who would be on Katherine's team. 

" Guys! Stop being scary cats," Benny annoyingly rolled his brown eyes. " I'll be on Kitty's team," He softly smiled while looking at Katherine. 

The boys, except for Scotty, looked at Benny in disbelief. 

" Boys! Huddle up!" Ham shouted, and the boys turned and ran off nearby to huddle up. 

Katherine amusingly shakes her head, watching the boys murmuring to each other. She looks away and turns her gaze to Benny and her younger step-brother. 

" Are they always been like this?" Katherine asked. 

Benny sighed, and he shook his head. " I think the guys are scared because I am now on your team," He looks at Katherine. 

Katherine raised an eyebrow. 

" Why are they scared that you are on my team?" Katherine asked. 

" Well," Benny rubbed the back of his neck, looking bashful. " I am considered the best baseball player in Burbank," He explained. 

" I see," Katherine nodded, curious to witness Benny playing baseball. 

" Can I-Can I be on your team?" Scotty looks at his older step-sister. 

Katherine looks at her younger step-brother. " Of course, you can be on my team!" She hugs him. 

Scotty blushes, looking embarrassed. He hugs his older step-sister, feeling glad that he will be on her team. The young boy only knows the sport's rules since he has never played it. 

" Now that we know the Jet and her kid brother will be on that girl's team. Who is going to be on my team?" Ham asked his friends, looking concerned. 

" I want to win. So, I will be on Kitty's team," Squints stepped away from the group and ran towards Katherine, Benny, and Scotty. 

Ham and the others watched Squints run. " Traitor!" Ham hisses, and he turns to look at the others. 

" Now, she has three members besides herself on her team. That means she only needs one more person," Kenny murmured. 

Ham's green eyes intently stared at his friends. 

" Yeah-Yeah! Since Squints and the Jet are already on her team, I will be on Kitty's team," Yeah-Yeah held his hands in surrender. " Good luck, boys!" He turns and runs towards Katherine, Benny, Scotty, and Squints.