Ch. 5 We can tell when we don't belong

Ham's hands tightly grasped the baseball bat. His green eyes narrowed when he saw the baseball heading in his direction. He took a step back and swung. However, his eyes widened when he heard Yeah-Yeah shout.

" YEAH-YEAH! STRIKE ONE!" Yeah-Yeah held the baseball with his right glove.

Benny brightly smiled when he saw Yeah-Yeah hold the baseball. He turned his gaze to Katherine, and the two grinned.

" I cannot believe Ham missed," Timmy murmured to Tommy, Kenny and Bertram.

" I cannot believe Ham missed." Tommy nodded.

Kenny and Bertram looked at Ham with worried gazes.

Ham looked at Kenny and Bertram and then looked at Katherine. " It was a lucky throw." He mumbled. " I'll get the next one." He reassured while watching Yeah-Yeah throw the ball.

Katherine caught the baseball and saw Ham go into position. Her right hand tightly grasped the baseball and threw the ball rapidly at Yeah-Yeah.

Ham smirked, thinking he would make a home run and get his team five points. He swung and looked relieved when he saw his baseball bat hit the ball, causing it to bounce to the left.

" Go! Go! Go!" The Timmons twins shout.

Ham begins to run toward first base, causing Scotty to get nervous since the baseball is on the left field.

Squints run toward the baseball and grab it with his glove. He turns and throws the ball at Scotty.

" Catch it, Smalls!" Benny shouts when he sees the baseball headed to Scotty.

" You got this, Scotty!" Katherine shouts when she sees the baseball fly past her to Scotty.

Scotty warily stared at the baseball heading in his direction. He held his right glove in front of him and closed his blue eyes, hoping to catch the ball.

" I am going to be safe!" Ham shouts. He sees Scotty with his blue eyes closed and smirks. He runs toward the other male and body-slams him, causing the younger male to fall, missing the baseball.

" Scotty!" Katherine shouts when she sees Ham body-slamming Scotty, causing her younger brother to fall and miss the baseball.

" Yes!" Ham cheered when he saw the baseball fly past Scotty, causing him to run toward second base.

Scotty wrapped his arms around his stomach and groaned in agony.

Katherine and Benny looked at Scotty with concerned gazes.

" Get up, Smalls!" Squints shout when he sees Scotty on the ground.

Katherine runs towards Scotty. Meanwhile, Benny ran towards the baseball, not caring if Ham passed him to get to second base.

" Scotty!" Katherine shouts while kneeling beside Scotty.

" I can't breathe," Scotty murmured.

' Shit! I forgot to have Scotty bring his inhaler.' Katherine internally speaks.

Katherine begins to remember what Scotty's doctor told their parents what to do when Scotty forgets to bring his inhaler.

" Scotty needs to sit upright." Katherine carefully holds Scotty against her and has him sit upright.

" He needs to take long, deep breaths." Katherine looks at Scotty and instructs her younger brother to take long, deep breaths.

Scotty nodded and began to take long, deep breaths.

" Rub Scotty's back and hold his hand to let him know he isn't alone." Katherine rubbed Scotty's back while holding his hand.

" I'm right here, Scotty," Katherine whispered.

Benny grabbed the baseball and turned to see Ham running toward second base. His chocolate brown eyes narrow, and he throws the ball at the other male, hitting him on the back.

" Yeah-Yeah! You are out!" Yeah-Yeah shouted when he saw the baseball hit Ham's back.

" What!" Ham stopped running when he realized that the baseball had hit his back.

Benny turns his gaze to Katherine and Scotty. His chocolate brown eyes blinked when he saw Scotty clinging to Katherine.

Scotty begins to regain his breathing.

" Is everything alright?" Benny asked, looking concerned.

Katherine looked at Benny with mixed emotions.

Once Katherine sees that Scotty has calmed down, she lets go of him slowly. She stands and turns to face Ham. Her hands tighten into fists, and she walks toward the younger male.

" Kitty?" Benny calls out, watching Katherine walk towards Ham.

Katherine takes off her glove and throws it at Ham, hitting him on his face.

" What was that for?" Ham asked.

" I should be asking you the same thing, you asshole!" Katherine snapped.

Ham looked at Katherine with a raised eyebrow.

" We are playing baseball. Not football!" Katherine glares and begins to shove Ham. " How would you feel if someone tackled you?" She asked.

Benny and the guys looked at Katherine and Ham with concerned gazes.

" You had my brother have an asthma attack because your fatass suffocated him." Katherine sneered.

" Who are you calling a fatass!" Ham glares.

Benny and Squints looked at each other and nodded. The two boys started to run toward Katherine and Ham.

" Yeah-Yeah. Kitty's hot when angry." Yeah-Yeah mumbled to the others, who nodded in agreement.

Scotty slowly stands up and looks at Katherine with a concerned gaze. He bit his lips lightly, scared since he didn't want his older sister to get in trouble.

" Do you want to fight?" Ham asked, not caring that Katherine was a girl.

" I can so beat you in a fight." Katherine taunts.

Ham and Katherine leaned against each other. Their foreheads touched as they glared at each other.

" Woah! Woah! Woah! No fighting in the Sandlot." Benny shouts. He puts his hands on Katherine's shoulders and pulls her back.

" Yeah! You can get arrested for hitting a girl, Ham. That's what my Dad tells me." Squints speak. He pulls Ham back and looks at him and Katherine with concern.

" Apologize to my brother!" Katherine glares at Ham.

" Why should I? Your brother needs to understand that players play rough when it comes to sports." Ham responded.

" That's Football, you dipshit!" Katherine sneered.

" Where's the popcorn?" Bertram asked while looking at the others.

" Alright! That's enough!" Benny shouts, causing the boys to look at him since he rarely gets angry.

" Ham! Apologize to Smalls." Benny glares at Ham.

Ham looks at Benny in disbelief. He opened his mouth to retort but stopped when he saw the other male give him a dirty stare.

Ham sighed.

Ham turns his gaze to Scotty. " Hey, Smalls! Sorry for almost killing you." He apologized.

Scotty awkwardly stared at Ham.

" A-Apology accepted." Scotty stuttered.

Katherine stepped away from Benny. " Scotty. Let's go home. Dad and Mom must be worried about us."

Scotty could sense that Katherine was angry, so he obliged. He speed-walks towards Katherine and lets his older sister wrap her arm around his shoulder.

" We are leaving. We can tell when we don't belong." Katherine glares at Benny and the boys. She looks away and begins to walk out of the Sandlot with Scotty.

Benny sadly watched Katherine and Scotty leave. He turned his gaze to Ham, and the other male gulped when he saw Benny with a furious expression.