Chapter 8

.... Yeah

Allumos's pov

"Shh, Shh, little one, quiet down."

The little girl, who according to a note in the basket, was named Kay, had not stopped crying since I brought her in. She was clean, she had refused food, so I could only assume she was crying because she was tired, or just because she could.

I was still cradling her to my chest, since that seemed to keep her the calmest.

She waved her arms around, crying a bit louder.

"Shh, Shh, please.."

I sighed, and closed my eyes for a second.

I had done this before.

This felt...too familiar

The little girl whimpered, and started reaching up.

"Shh, it's gonna be okay little one."

I didn't want to disturb Bri and Lo'pho downstairs, not when Jericho is still in such a delicate state...

I closed my eyes, sighing.

But I didn't know what to do to calm her down either. I could barely stop the little chuckle of amusement in my throat, my mind drifting back to the past again. Inpu was right. With kids, there are some battles you just can't win...

I opened my eyes again, and looked at the little girl, who was staring up at me, with tears in her eyes. As she opened her eyes, started hiccuping a bit, and the chuckle in my throat was quickly replaced by a cough.

Her eyes.

Two mismatched eyes, one a dark silvery grey, and the other a brilliant deep blue, staring up at me, little dots of tears in each corner of her eyes.

I felt tears well up in my eyes as I looked at her.

Mismatched eyes..

Tiny hands hung on my finger as I smiled gently at my new baby son. A pair of mismatched purple and black eyes looked up at me curiously. I took a deep breath as I gently cradled the boy, Pat as my late wife had wanted to name him, in my arms.

"Hello Pat..." I said, my voice barely above a whisper as I spoke. The newborn's face broke out into a smile and he giggled.

I felt my heart warm because of my son and small tears formed in the corners of my eyes. I heard the door open, and looked up to see my friend and lord of my village, Lauren, standing in the doorway with a smile.

"He's beautiful." She said, walking over and patting my arm. I nodded.

I cradled my son close to my chest, and let him grab my finger, as I let the tears fall down my face.

I snapped myself back to reality, as I felt Kay grab my finger, still whimpering sadly.

"H-huh?"

She was still staring up at me, shaking a bit, her eyes still wet with tears. How long had I been zoned out for? Was she trying to get my attention the whole time?

"Oh, I'm sorry little droplet." I muttered, the nickname slipping out easily. It just felt right and I barely gave it another thought.

She sobbed quietly, tugging my finger closer. I let her, and she started nomming on it, seeming a bit pacified.