Chapter 19

We didn't forget about this.

We didn't.

I took a deep breath.

The surprise birth of triplets had been a brief distraction, but it didn't make the world stop moving.

Kaiba had been willing to delay the wedding some, but his mother, and the high priest had both insisted on keeping the date that had been set.

Kaiba and Ashara had chosen a new moon for the wedding, for Ashara's peace of mind, and so Kaiba's mother wouldn't freak out. Meif'wa noses were most sensitive and a New Moon was the best bet to avoid her sniffing out Ashara's lycanthropy.

I honestly felt a bit bad for Ashara. As it turned out, he had no living family and his soon to be mother in law was already so rude to him.

Since the wedding was still happening soon, there were many last minute preparations to be done.

Cal was currently trailing after Eden, talking about various marriage traditions, Kaiba and Angel were both coaching Jericho on how to bake the cake, and I was talking to Marshie.

She had been happy to arrange the drinks, but she found the matter a bit complicated by the existence of Kaiba's mother.

She had been very picky on what was allowed, despite Kaiba always insisting everything was fine. But she just kept going off about what would be right or wrong to serve to the high priest. The high priest himself had remained quiet about the whole thing, only offering a sly smile.

"My lord?"

I snapped back to reality, as Marshie handed me a list of drinks.

"Right. Sorry. I.. never mind. Did she finally approve of these?" I asked, taking the list. Each drink had ingredients needed listed by the name, some underlined in red.

"Yeah, she did. 'Bout damn time.. how can a holy life restrict what you drink? Sounds stupid to me." Marshie grumbled, glaring at the high priest, who had his back turned.

I forced a smile.

"Well, some avid followers of the divine believe that we should only drink drinks the divines approved of."

Marshie blinked at me, and threw her hands.

"THE CAPTAIN WAS A SAILOR. I GUARANTEE SHE WOULD DRINK ANYTHING!" She cried out, and I quickly covered my mouth, trying to swallow my laugh. "AND THE DUKE LOVED WINE! HIS STATUES FREQUENTLY SHOW HIM WITH A WINE GLASS! THE DIVINES GOT DRUNK AT LEAST DAILY, I'LL BET YOU ANYTHING!"

I started wheezing, leaning on a nearby barrel, trying to catch my breath

"Divines Marshie, lower your voice, Marshie, please." I eventually wheezed out. "You'll hurt their feelings." I eventually managed.

Marshie huffed.

"Whatever. I'll bet you the only reason he can't drink alcohol is because he's a lightweight." She grumbled. I laughed light heartedly, glancing over at Eden. Seemed he hadn't heard a thing.

I still couldn't figure out why I was so unsettled by him, but the feeling hadn't gone away, if anything, it'd gotten worse as time went on.

"She only approved a few alcoholic drinks!" Marshie continued, gesturing at the list. "And some of these are barely alcoholic. Tch.. and I don't even have all the ingredients for some of these." She kept going, crossing her arms. I pat her shoulder.