Chapter 22

Sorry for the long absence

You know life stuff.

Also the fucking document we've been writing in fucking vanished.

Anyways, please thank milk for the heavy lifting

Allumos's POV

"The harvest has been good so far, should be enough to get the town through winter and then some." Farmer said, following Lauren's prodding. Despite seeming annoyed, he still had that same neutral smile he was known for.

Lauren nodded. "Good, good. And Avian, how is the town's market and sales?" she asked, turning her attention to the town's head merchant.

"Our trade routes are going strong still." Avian replied with a grin. "And we've been speaking with Oakshore about opening a trade route with them."

Lauren smiled brightly at the mention of opening up a trade route with the town. Oakshore was known for its trees and wood, and their town didn't have the best lumber. "Perfect, that should help bring up our lumber. What do they want from us?"

"Just some fruits and berries, cranberries and kiwis specifically." Avian replied. That wasn't a big surprise. Their town was known for jams and alcohol, and Oakshore wouldn't be the first place to ask for specific fruits in trade.

Lauren looked over at Farmer, who gave a casual nod. "I can get a few farms to add more space for those, and we already have plenty this year."

"Excellent. Ironwood, any news with the guard?" Lauren turned her attention to the town's head guard, Duke Ironwood.

He shook his head. "Nothing of note. No new trainees, and the ones we have are doin... well enough. I guess. Nothing's popped up during anyone's watch either. I've had people on watch around the clock, as always."

"Glad to hear. Moodswing?" Lauren looked over to the last member of the council, who was the town's head teacher.

"I have nothing either. Classes have been running as smoothly as classes can, and we're not in desperate need of any supplies." Moodswing said with a smile. She looked somewhat tired, but that was to be expected when someone was a teacher.

"Well then, all that's left is Allumos!" Lauren said with a grin slightly too wide, turning towards her childhood best friend. I jumped slightly, confused on why she was calling on me.

My face dropped and my eyes widened as I looked at her. Her skin was marred with burns and slashes, as blood dripped down her skin, from a hole in her neck.

How long had that arrow been there?

She looked at him with bloody, decaying eyes, a maggot crawling out of one, falling to her feet, with a soft thunk.

"Why did you let us die?" her voice came out croaked and shallow, nothing like it normally was. Nothing like it was supposed to be.

Quickly, I stood up from my chair and looked around the room, only to be met with the faces of more corpses. Avian looked at me, his once beautiful wings completely gone from the fire and his body an unrecognizable bloody mess.

I looked over to Ironwood and Farmer, desperate to look away. It wasn't any better. Farmer looked at me, his limbs twisted and some just completely gone, his robotic arm that he'd spent so long making, nowhere to be seen. Ironwood didn't look over at all, his face looking as though it had been burnt off with a single eyeball hanging from its socket.