Twenty Six

"Come upstairs," Elle said quickly.

The look on Russell's face had immediately startled her. It was set like stone, unemotional, just on the verge of anger.

Russell crossed the hall toward her, and they were just heading up the stairs when Kaye's voice stopped them.

"How did the revision session go?"

Elle's face, out of Kaye's sight, twisted in frustration.

"It was fine," she said.

"He seemed a nice young man. David. You should bring him here to study next time."

Elle looked quickly at Russell, but he was staring down at the stairs. She couldn't tell if he looked angry or hurt.

Not another one mad at me, Elle thought dismally.

Before Kaye could say another word Elle raced upstairs, ushering Russell into her bedroom and slamming the door shut behind them.

Once they were alone Elle began to fuss about the room, tidying away her books and school bag, throwing some discarded clothes into the laundry hamper. It wasn't that she was embarrassed about the mess; Russell had seen her room ten times messier than this. She was really just keeping herself busy so she wouldn't have to look Russell in the eye.

She knew that look would still be there. That blank, staring look. It was a look that expected something - some sort of explanation or justification. She didn't really have either to give.

"Where are the others?" she asked, trying to sound casual, as she hastily arranged some cushions on the bed.

Russell spoke in a hollow, empty voice:

"Jax is at work. Sellan and Maggie are out - Sellan's dad's birthday. But I didn't invite them anyway. I wanted to come here on my own."

Elle looked at him at last. He looked very toned-down today. Toned-down for Russell anyway - plain grey T-shirt, blue jeans. He was carrying an old blood-red hoodie which he now threw carelessly over the back of Elle's desk chair. Elle was surprised he even had a plain grey T-shirt in his wardrobe of vivid colours and insane patterns.

It was weird seeing him like this. He didn't look like himself at all.

"So. You've been out with David this morning."

There was more than a hint of accusation in his voice. Elle gave a sigh that she'd maybe meant to sound weary, but probably came out more like hostility.

"Yes."

Russell nodded a few times.

"So you can text him, then?"

"I didn't text him. He just turned up here -"

"Elle," Russell shot out, suddenly hard with suppressed feeling, "don't you realise that we were all going out of our minds after you stormed off yesterday? I rang you like, twenty times. We were all messaging you all night. You couldn't have just taken one minute to let us know you weren't passed out in a ditch somewhere?"

"None of you seemed bothered enough to catch up with me after I left."

"And what would you have said if we had? You didn't exactly give us the impression you wanted any company."

Elle could feel herself getting angry, and struggled hard to suppress it. Through gritted teeth she said, "I don't need you to be angry at me, Russell. Not today. Just - please. Not today."

Russell took a deep breath, watching her as she sat down on the edge of the bed.

"How did you know about Letty Gardener?" he asked.